GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Default Replacing TBI w/ Carb

Greetings all, I was wondering if anyone has replaced their TBI w/ a new carb and intake. What do you do with the current fuel lines? Does the fuel pump need to be regulated? Does the throttle linkage work? Will the gas pedal still work and what about the tranny kickdown?

Also, who has replaced their TBI with a new Holley unit and how did that work out for you?

Thanks,
    jesse

1989 Chevy V1500 Suburban 4X4, long tube headers & xover pipe. w/1985 350 4bbl.
    2002 Silverado 1500 5.3L Ext. Cab
    2005 Wrangler Rubicon 4.0L
    1990 Miata

There are generally adapters/etc to make your linkages fit/work. Not positive without digging on your specific model.

You will most definitely need a pressure regulator, or have to convert to mechanical pump. Carbs are about 7-9psi, and IIRC the electric pumps on those will push up to about 20psi. The other option would be switching over to a mechanical pump, and eliminating the return. Mech should be strong enough to pull through your existing electrical if you just disconnect it (or so I've heard). All in all probly cheaper and more reliable to just get a regulator.
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

Legend
    Blog Entries

From what i have heard the Holleys work great. Im not 100% since i havent used one however my 1988 K2500 has a Holley on it but it seems to be stock... Why are you thinking about changing the TBI out if you dont mind me asking??
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

I'm having some trouble with the way it runs, stumbling, hesitation and stalling, but not all the time. Sometimes it runs great. I was just pricing my options when i noticed i could replace the TBI with a carb and intake for about the same money. And who doesn't like a four barrel!!!!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Do you have a CEL?? And as for the hesitation.. you might consider a tune up?? Especially the fuel filter.. Mine had a bunch of black goo in it. Also clean up the TBI and consider a fuel pressure regulator.. That will help dramatically.

Sr. Mechanic

Check this site out, you can spend alot less and get the same performance.

http://www.rvmorsemachine.com

Or go here and do the same thing to yourself.

http://thirdgen.org

Look under the Tech section for TBI mods.

91 Suburban

D44/14BFF w/Disc conv - Yukon 4:88's - Yukon Grizzly Lockers F/R -13" lift - DIY4x Shackle Flip - 37 ATZ on 18 MT Classics - Doug Thorley headers - Magnaflow - Holley Pro Jection Intake - Ultimate TBI mods - Hydroboost Brake Conversion - Hysteer-X Over Conversion.

(Coming up - Fuel Injected 383 Stroker - Divorced NP205 - D60 - 40" tires)

Hmmm, I have new plugs,wires,cap & rotor. Just installed Long tube headers and crossover pipe. It has had the problem all along........ I have also changed out the fuel filter and the tps.......
    I'm wondering if it could be a vac. leak in the manifold, I hear they are known for that.......

Jr. Apprentice

Did you try replacing any of the sensors? Also, do you get a check engine light? My 90 had this problem and I replaced all the sensors and the EGR, and it runs like a raped ape. The only prob I have is a broken/burnt wire on the ESC (Electronic Spark Control) solenoid signal wire, but I'm re-running that to fix it. I was going to replace mine, but TBI's done right will hang right with, if not beat the best tuned carbs any day.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Try a new gasket around the TBI.. and possibly remove the TBI spacer, and with the new gasket to see where you are.. I am suffering from a lack of power.. and every thing that i have changed has helped.. but currently i am at the fuel pump.. Just remeber this the TBI is more efficent and actually easier on the motor because the motor is always getting the right air/fuel ratio, and with a carb you can only really have 1 jet size, causing you to only be "close" all the time instead of right on.

All good stuff, thanks. Guess i will get my codes scanned this weekend and go from there.......

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by