GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Clunker View Post
    Here are a couple of pictures of my dashboard.
    Attachment 55662Attachment 55663
    Same place! The drivers side was, forward and left, next to the windshield panel! Let's keep this going, as more may post. I sure hope this condition doesn't, return??????? Cuz, it'll be out of my "POCKET" and shouldn't be.......
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, SCT Programmer.

Ok. Thanks for those pics. Yeah. That's a big crack for not that many miles or years.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

If you don't already know, many (if not most) 2007+ Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Avalanche, Silverado and Sierra Trucks dashes have cracked in these same spots (corner of passenger airbag and above instrument cluster). We have organized a group of owners on the facebook page found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/251892298253/

Please join our group and help us get GM to take action. GM denies most repairs (or offers a discounted repair) if the vehicle is even a few days out of warranty. GM knows this is a rampant issue and fails to take responsibility. Don't let GM get away with this. This issue poses safety concerns regarding whether the airbag will be punctured or otherwise ineffective during deployment due to the sharp cracked edges of the dash as well as the potential for shards of cracked dash becoming projectiles causing injury to occupants during a collision. Please join with us. I have also just started a twitter handle 'trushift'. Please follow me and help spread the word.

I have had the same crack for a couple of years now in truck norris and I'll agree it is fairly annoying. My truck now has 103K on it so I'm SOL haha. That being said...i dont see how this could cause a safety concern seeing as how the bag itself deploys in basically an entirely different panel, made of a different material.. and IF it did send pieces flying... uhh.. the airbag went off. Id be worried about getting punched in the face by that rather than the pieces of plastic the airbag (because of its location and direction of deployment) sent towards the windshield.

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

I suppose if you don't mind the risk of the unknown this wouldn't be a concern for you. As for me, I am not interested in my wife and children being a 'test case' during a collision as to whether additional injuries result from the sharp edges of the cracked dash. I would rather the dash be in one piece prior to the collision as it was intended during original design, testing and manufacturing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	57303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	57304

It's not really the unknown though. Not knocking you for being concerned with your family's safety by any means, but have you taken the dash apart before to research for yourself and understand what happens to the dash when the airbag deploys?
    1) there's not an airbag above the instrument cluster to cause that area to explode and send "shards" flying throughout the cabin (although i agree it is BS that they're cracking already)
    2) As I stated earlier, the airbag "cabin" if you will, is totally separate of where that crack appears on the passenger side (as you can see from your picture), is made of a different material than what cracked, has relief cuts in this pliable cover (allowing it to RIP rather than break), and projects outwards toward the passenger which places it between the person and this cracked portion.

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Quote Originally Posted by 08_rado_rocker View Post
    It's not really the unknown though.
    It is entirely an unknown. You may want to read up on 'chaos theory'. Here is a short research summary on this related to vehicle collision.

http://www.injuryresources.com/brain...injury414.html

Here are a couple quotes from the article:

" a car crash is a chaotic system thatís virtually unpredictable:"

"Even small variations of the initial conditions can affect the end result so that it is no longer predictable"

Introducing an unintended variable such as the dash being cracked can and will likely completely negate the expected results. If you don't agree, we can just agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by fordee7 View Post
    If you don't already know, many (if not most) 2007+ Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Avalanche, Silverado and Sierra Trucks dashes have cracked in these same spots (corner of passenger airbag and above instrument cluster). We have organized a group of owners on the facebook page found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/251892298253/

Please join our group and help us get GM to take action. GM denies most repairs (or offers a discounted repair) if the vehicle is even a few days out of warranty. GM knows this is a rampant issue and fails to take responsibility. Don't let GM get away with this. This issue poses safety concerns regarding whether the airbag will be punctured or otherwise ineffective during deployment due to the sharp cracked edges of the dash as well as the potential for shards of cracked dash becoming projectiles causing injury to occupants during a collision. Please join with us. I have also just started a twitter handle 'trushift'. Please follow me and help spread the word.
    I would like to follow this but I don't do Facebook or Twitter! I am Old School and try to be Transparent. Sounds familiar doesn't, I am not Obammmmmmmmma though. I would like to see a recall that would last for "Lifetime" to original owner!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fordee7 View Post
    I suppose if you don't mind the risk of the unknown this wouldn't be a concern for you. As for me, I am not interested in my wife and children being a 'test case' during a collision as to whether additional injuries result from the sharp edges of the cracked dash. I would rather the dash be in one piece prior to the collision as it was intended during original design, testing and manufacturing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	57303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	57304
    Thanks for the Pics! Those are the same as mine was, in the exact place!
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, SCT Programmer.

The cracked dash for the sake of appearance is enough. Honestly the "in case of an accident" isn't really logical because from experience loose objects in the cab are your real problem.

That being said poorly designed airbags have been put into vehicles in the past (late 80s or early 90s Pontiac rings a bell) ...

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12