GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default typhoon Rearend guts, s10 axle??

OK guys, im back.

Ended up pullin the motor in my 89 Blaze (101K Miles) gonna strip it down, build it up, and supercharge it.
    While thats on an engine stand, i scrapped the 89 and picked a 91 4door (also 2wd)

It currently has the factory 7.625, open-end rearend, with 3.42's
    BUT.. I recently gotta KILLER deal for a 93 typhoon rear end. Its also got a 7.625 with 3.42's but has a rebuilt auburn posi unit.

NOW...

From what i have read, the typhoon rear uses the same wider axle as a 4x4 S-series, or a 3rd gen camaro, etc. and Personally i dont want my tires sticking outside the body. (it just looks tacky)

SO.. my question is:
    Can i take the posi unit out of the typhoon and stuff it into my 2wd s10 rear end?? AND NOT HAVE TO CHANGE MY AXLES OUT or do any other major work?? Is it a slap-in-&-drive possibility?? or am i just dreaming??

Lemme know!!

As long as they are the same spline count And same ring/pinion size.
    Chuckie!!!

Not just a "slap it in and drive possibility", no such thing when working on a differential. Unless you like making small pieces out of big pieces ! I would highly recommend you do a search for "Randy's Ring and Pinion". They sell a book for less than 30 bucks that will answer your questions, they also have on line tech advice. As far as an Auburn limited slip, I had one years ago, was OK, and was durable - however, they are not rebuildable ! Limited slips with clutches can be rebuilt, an Auburn has no clutches. Ken

thanks for the info Grampy.
    sucks they're not rebuildable :(
    i totally would traded out the spider gear if i had too.
    Cause if i understand correctly i think the typhoon comes with 28-30 splines,
    i know the 89 and newer s10 came standard with 7.625's with 28 spline. but i dont think it ever came with 30 unless you brought replacement axles yourself..

Im gonna go do a lil research and make sure the rearend is everything i just said, and ill get back to you. If they are both 28 spline, ill be a happy motor head