GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Do manual transmission effect how people drive?

Anyone else think that vehicles equipped with manual transmissions cause people to pay more attention to their driving? In this modern age, vehicles are mostly equipped with automatics and some people focus on other things besides driving.

Yea with no shifting required it lets me take longer naps.
    Im a firm believer that some drivers just plain suck and will always walk around with cranial rectumitis causing problems for others, I dont think the problem is in the conveniences on their vehicles, these people are just plain selfish and dont care about anything but themselves.

3. Likes Goldie, Big_Mike liked this post

I would agree with that. The more human manipulation the car needs, the more people will focus on actually operating the vehicle. The more automatic things the car has, the less a person is focused on actual driving. Kind of like the saying, "idle hands are the devil's playthings." The less a person has to do inside the vehicle, the more they will find to do that isn't related to driving. Keep in mind, it will vary from person to person but I think overall it's true.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

I have the 5 speed manual in my 07 Sierra W/T and I enjoy driving with it. The alternative for some seems to be pointing a vehicle down the road while alternately mashing on the foot feed and binders. It helps keep me focused, using my Scanguage II, to get the most out of my truck and good mileage as well. I made 26.9 mpg last tank.
    I agree with tbplus 10. Some people seem to suffer from cephalic rectal inversion behind the wheel. Perhaps another good reason for more chlorine needed for the gene pool?

I think a stickshift does make for better drivers for the reasons stated by many people above. It's the reason I dislike automatics. I intensely dislike those flappy paddle thingies even more. They're no better than an Xbox. Right now all three of my vehicles, '99 Suburban K1500 5.7 Vortec, '99 Dakota R/T 5.9, and the lowly 2004 Volvo V70 wagon, have automatic transmissions, but not by choice. My two favorite vehicles I've owned with 5 speeds were both a total hoot to drive, a 2007 Mustang GT, and a 2001 Dakota 4.7 V8 shortbed short cab. To me, a vehicle with a stickshift is an extension of my body. I am always alert and fully involved in every movement of the entire vehicle. Both hands, and both feet always in it, always active. My driving is always much smoother, and more direct because I can control weight transfer and deceleration without the brakes. When I am driving an automatic, I feel like a passenger who has to be reminded to steer and punch the brakes.

7. Likes Big_Mike liked this post

Yes, absolutely! Me and my wife have discussed this so many times. She has a 98 Formula and we swapped from an auto to manual and I've noticed that I pay far more attention when I'm driving it now. I don't zone out as much or get bored. But yeah, now they're all going away, sad.

I tend to disagree, when on the highway with a MT, one just puts it into 5th gear, engages the cruise control(if so equipped) and drives on.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I view cruise control in a vehicle with a manual transmission a total waste of windshield wiper control stick space.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    I view cruise control in a vehicle with a manual transmission a total waste of windshield wiper control stick space.
    So on say a 1000 mile road trip it would not be nice to be able to set the cruise to 65MPH?

I think that everyone should spend some time driving a motorcycle. Then I think there would be better drivers on the roads then. I know that after I got my motorcycle I have been much more alert to what is going on around me when I drive.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by