GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How many inch lift for a 2003 GMC

My husband has been talking about lifting our 2003 GMC 2500, its a quad cab. He isn't sure how many inch lift he want to put in it. It has to be obvious that it was lifted but not so much that we need a ladder to get in

Does anyone have any input? Also best place to buy & if you have before & after pics of your truck with a lift, please post them!
    Thanks
    Like a Rock & for sure the Heartbeat!

Another component to the equation is the tires. Is there a certain size you want ? Certain lift/level kits will allow for certain tires. You need to factor in the tire height adjustment to give that overall lifted appearance without going so high it's not comfortable to get in and out of.

6" kit with 35x12.50's.

________2013 4C Rated__________

I would go with a 6" BDS kit. Life time warranty on all of their lift components. With the 6" you don't have to put 35's under it. But, you can. In my opinion you only want to pay for a lift kit one time. Not buy a 3" now and discover in a few years that you wanted a 6".

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

My personal opinion would be a 3 inch lift if be doesn't want overly huge tires and to jump in every time.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Quote Originally Posted by cain73 View Post
    Another component to the equation is the tires. Is there a certain size you want ? Certain lift/level kits will allow for certain tires. You need to factor in the tire height adjustment to give that overall lifted appearance without going so high it's not comfortable to get in and out of.
    I'm pretty sure we want to stay with the original tires right now as we don't want to buy rims & tires right now. We would like to lift it & then later buy rims & tires... or are we doing it backward or should we plan on doing it all at once?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I would go with a 6" BDS kit. Life time warranty on all of their lift components. With the 6" you don't have to put 35's under it. But, you can. In my opinion you only want to pay for a lift kit one time. Not buy a 3" now and discover in a few years that you wanted a 6".

Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    My personal opinion would be a 3 inch lift if be doesn't want overly huge tires and to jump in every time.
    Would 3 inches be obvious enough?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I should add that we don't want Monster truck look either (nothing wrong with it, but the truck as to haul the family too So bigger tires are an option but not extremely wide (I haven't done all the tire research yet so I'm not sure the sizing).

You guys are a great help, just wanna say thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mysweetmelissa View Post
    I'm pretty sure we want to stay with the original tires right now as we don't want to buy rims & tires right now. We would like to lift it & then later buy rims & tires... or are we doing it backward or should we plan on doing it all at once?

- - - Updated - - -

Would 3 inches be obvious enough?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I should add that we don't want Monster truck look either (nothing wrong with it, but the truck as to haul the family too So bigger tires are an option but not extremely wide (I haven't done all the tire research yet so I'm not sure the sizing).

You guys are a great help, just wanna say thanks!
    i would notice it lol. The bigger tires also give it some lift too like someone has already said. I have an app on my phone that I can punch in a tire size and get it in inches, height and width.

Why not just crank on the T bars some and put +1 size tires when you are ready. Sounds more to me you want a level and not a lift.

Definitely a 6 inch. If not six then a 4 inch.

2010 Chevrolet Silverado
    Black Leather Interior
    6" Fab Tech Lift Kit
    BDS Front Skid Plate
    35 inch Nitto Terra Grapplers
    Aftermarket Fender Flares
    20 Inch Mamba Rims
    Big Country Step Rails
    Custom Flowmaster Exhaust
    Chrome Chevy Stamped Exhaust Tips
    TOFF Spray in Bedliner
    Billet Front Chevy Bow Tie