GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jr. Mechanic

Many thinks to Pikey and Skinner for the fix with the grease fitting.

I decided to follow their lead instead of what I proposed above.

The fittings I got from NAPA 715-2003 were 1/4X28 TPI instead of 1/4x20. I checked the chart and found there is the standard drill for tapping holes for the 1/4X28 but I had number drills that were up to .010 smaller so I drilled the hole with them and started a 1/4X28 tap in and stopped quick. The grease fitting caught hold and I basically used the grease fitting to tap the hole so there is no slop in the thread and full thread engagement.

When it bottomed out it was quite snug.

I gave it about 75 shots of Grease Aircraft Wide Temperature Range (WTR) and ran it 10 miles down the road and it was like driving a totally different truck. WTR is military surplus grease used for about everything on military aircraft up to B52s and I understand it is used on wheel bearings in them. The commercial name for this excellent synthetic grease is Aeroshell 33 which runs about $340.00 for a 5 gal pail.

I have previously mixed about 1/2 teaspoon of moly powder up with 8 oz of power steering fluid and put it in the power steering and that alone removed two of the three clunks I was getting stopping and starting. That only left me one clunk and the grease fitting seems to be working on that. I mixed mine up in a squeeze type mustard bottle with a screw closed small fitting. That way I could shake it very well. Moly powder does not necessarily want to blend with oil on its own as it is a very light powder but dumped in the mustard container and shaken well did exactly what I wanted it to do

I figure I will do the initial greasing and just see how long it goes and if it starts back I will give it some more shots. Sure is easy to get a fixed spout grease gun to. I figure this saved me about 900.00 and I have spent maybe five bucks on the two fixes.

Many thanks to all who responded to my time of need ! ! ! ! !J

2. Likes Pikey liked this post
    Jr. Mechanic

Update, I have now run two tanks of gas through the 2500 and not the first clunk. Keeping my fingers crossed though haha. Thanks again guys.

The moly powder in the power steering unit is also going like a champ. I also added into my Durango (237K on it) and it likes it too.

4. Likes zuki82 liked this post

Thanks for the tips on the lubrication. Where did you physically place the zerk on the shaft? I have a brand new shaft and it clunks just as bad as the original. Thanks much!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12