GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default universal cooling fan Question

i have a 1985 chevy S10 with a 2.5L 4 cylinder in it.Well i changed the engine out to a 1989 2.5L 4 cylinder with wiring harness and everything.

the problem i got is the clutch fans are different and the parts place here wants over 50.00 bucks for just the clutch for the fan.What i was going to do is replace the clutch fan with a electric fan but with a S10 it has a 14inch tall radiator.

What my question is: can i use a 12 inch universal cooling fan and be safe where it won't burn my newly installed engine?

The one i was going to get is a 12 inch that straps to my radiator where it won't move.The tie straps go threw my radiator like zip ties and i just cut the end off and be done with it. Then wire it to a relay where it will come on when it needs too.

So will i be safe or sorry if i install one of these universal fans on my truck?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated
    Proud Member Of Anderson County Coon Club

Keep them Treed Boys

Own and Drive a 1985 Chevy S10 2.5L 4 Speed

I know that if you want to run electric fans that the ones from a early to mid 90s Taurus with the 3.8 v6 are a good choice. Bone yard should be packed with them

If you want to go with new stuff this outfit http://ffdynamics.com/ has elec. fan kits for just about any sys. out there. Gramps

I wouldn't chince on the cooling fan with a cheapo ebay unit. I've heard some of those have completely inadequate air flow, and it would be unwise to risk damaging a new engine over $50-$100.

X2 on the Taurus fans. There are several posts in the GMTC that deal with this specific issue.
    Current Rides: |99 Chevy Suburban- the family truckster |93 Lincoln Town Car- 250K miles & still churning -now a fan of the Panther platform |95 BMW 325is coupe- Wheeee!
    Former GM cars: |78 Suburban 454 |71 Buick Electra 225 (deuce & a quarter) |75 Monte Carlo- 400SB- heaviest doors GM every made |70 Impala coupe- my 1st car