GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 5 speed transmission SWAP in 1997 Z71

Will a 1997 C1500 2 wheel drive 5 speed transmission Swap into my Z71 with 5 speed transmission???
    ALSO what 5 speed transmission "originally came" in the 5.7 motor Z71 (NV3500???) ?
    THANKS for the info and Reply
    2000 Z71-- 4door-"Students Shop Class mods :rofl:" leveler kit, programmer,cold air kit,billet grill,bed rails,nerf bar step rails,tool box,brush guard,HID,2--12"P1 subs. in custom"ported box" ,300 watt momo amp.....and the list goes on when I get some MORE money!!!!

1987 Buick Grand National :glasses: -- 10.30's @ 134mph 1/4mile (alot-of go fast goodies), 20mpg with air, 2400 watts Rockford Fosgate sound system, Show/Go toy.

2006 H3 Hummer-- jus' another toy....

If your truck is a z71 4x4 then no you cannot swap the transmissions. You need a nv3500 from a 4x4 so that it can mount up to the transfer case. Look up an nv3500 for a 4x4 and a two wheel drive on ebay and you can see the differences.
    93 K1500 5spd 5.7 350
    Holley 670 cfm
    K&N Cold Air
    Hypertech prom
    Custom Exhaust
    Speed pro forged flat tops
    Msd Ignition
    Edelbrock cam

Default THANKS. but????

Quote Originally Posted by okysmokey911 View Post
    If your truck is a z71 4x4 then no you cannot swap the transmissions. You need a nv3500 from a 4x4 so that it can mount up to the transfer case. Look up an nv3500 for a 4x4 and a two wheel drive on ebay and you can see the differences.
    THANKS for the info.
    We have a 2 wheel drive NV3500 trans. as a "donor"...... will the internal parts(gears, rod, forks and ects.)from the 2wheel drive NV3500 "FIT" in the 4wheel drive NV3500 trans. REASON I ask, one of my students found a "junk" trans. and we thought we would try to rebuild/swap parts. I did not know that the 4wheel trans. were THIS hard to find and MAN the price for a rebuild trans. is more that we paid for the "whole" truck!!!!!

Yeah they are extremely hard to find. I do not actually know if the internals will work or not. I know that they came out with several versions of the nv3500 and there are differences in the number of shift rails in each. I actually have a 4x4 nv3500 that went bad. It would make some bad noises in third and fifth gear haha. Pretty sure the bearings went out in those gears. Found this link so I suppose it might be possible to swap out the tail ends of the two transmissions as long as you have the same version of the nv3500. http://www.truckforum.org/forums/che...anny-4-wd.html