GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Truck will not start

I have a 2004 2400HD truck. It will not start. This is the third time this has happened. First two times required towing to dealer and about a total of $1500. Dealer fixed both times, but it's only been about three months since the last repair. Ran fine yesterday, but went out this AM and it urns over fine but won't start. Primed the fuel filter (hopefully correctly) but it still just turns over. Last repair was described as replacing a one-way, no return valve back to the fuel tank. They said fuel was draining out of the filter back into the tank. Any ideas/suggestions?

Start with the alternator, pull it and get it tested and the battery as well then move on to fuel problems, it could possibly be the pump...is it throwing any codes?

Thanks. Batteries are less than a year old, and are turning the engine over very well. I haven't tested the alternator but since the batteries remained charged that seems unlikely, but will check out with a volt meter. I haven't checked codes as I'm unfamiliar with that procedure. It seems pretty clear that the engine is not getting fuel for some reason as that has been the case the last two times something similar has happened. I'll check codes if you can point me in the right direction.

Alternator and batteries check out okay; no codes were found at all. Primed and bled fuel filter and truck still will not start. What's next?

Is it gas or diesel?

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Check and clean the groud going to the frame...stuff acts weird when that gets rusty/corrided

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    Factory Black Running Boards
    BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's(265/65R18)
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    Bowtie Mud Flaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    DeeZee Toolbox(Debadged)
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Bigger Tires
    Aftermarket Rims

Truck is diesel. Previous work included replacing the regulator (part no. 97369850) and filter (part no. 12642623) + filter kit.