GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: H3 Clutch...

Default H3 Clutch...

Anyone have a 5 speed H3 that has to bleed the clutch once a year or more? Seems like the ol' H3 clutch needs bled every spring. You have to pump the clutch to build up pressure. Once I drain and refill then bleed I'm usually good for a least 6 months. Anyone else have this issue?
    "If it ain't one thing, it's a mother******g nother"

Legend

I was always under the assumption if you have to do that often then the slave cylinder is bad.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

What would be bad about it you think? It doesn't lose fluid or anything.

Legend

If its not leaking then something has failed and is allowing air into the system. the clutch runs off the brake system, so maybe even a bad brake booster or master cylinder. You are better off taking it to a reputable shop that understands clutches. They can be pretty tricky if you are not familiar with them.

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    If its not leaking then something has failed and is allowing air into the system. the clutch runs off the brake system, so maybe even a bad brake booster or master cylinder. You are better off taking it to a reputable shop that understands clutches. They can be pretty tricky if you are not familiar with them.
    since when has a clutch worked of the brake system? at most iv seen them share resivours (both use brake fluid) but nothing after that is shared. the clutch is its own system with its own master, slave, lines and pedal.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

Legend

All I meant was they share the same fluid and maybe the same reservoir (I shouldn't type that late at night, thought in head wasn't translated to fingers well), but something is wrong, you should never be having to consistently be bleeding air out of the clutch system, just the same as if you were constantly bleeding air out of your brakes
    Last edited by vncj96; 08-29-2013 at 09:12 AM.

It has it's own reservoir. When I have to bleed it once a year no air comes out. Some how it is getting contaminated, via heat or moisture. Anyway I just wanted to know if any other H3 owners had this issue. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dedmon27 View Post
    It has it's own reservoir. When I have to bleed it once a year no air comes out. Some how it is getting contaminated, via heat or moisture. Anyway I just wanted to know if any other H3 owners had this issue. Thanks
    I think that you have an issue somewhere. Slave cylinder possibly. You should not have to bleed it unless you open the system for some reason. It is a sealed system like your brakes. If I had to bleed my brakes every year I would be concerned.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)