GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default SuperTech Power Steering OK for NNBS Trucks?

I have an unopened bottle of the SuperTech power steering fluid, you know, the blue bottles at Walmart.

When I look in the owners manual it says the following:

Power Steering System - GM Power Steering Fluid (GM Part No. 89021184, in Canada 89021186).
    What exactly is GM Power Steering Fluid? So are NNBS trucks like a Honda and ONLY want you to use their power steering fluid? All the rest give me a clearer definition of the fluid. I was always told power steering fluid is power steering fluid.

Thanks.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

So far my truck has handled any load Ive thrown at it

Power steering is one of the most ignored things on a vehicle UNTIL it goes out. I was thinking of doing a regimen of just sucking out the fluid in the reservoir and replacing it say every 10-15K miles.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Power steering fluid changes in the only reason I would ever pull into a quick oil change place. My nephew runs one of those places. I had an issue with contaminated fluid. I took it to him. They have a machine with a long and short hose. The long hose goes down into the bottom of your PS reservoir and the short tube goes right next to the tube that your fluid returns to the reservoir thru. The shorter tube sucks old fluid out as it returns to the reservoir while the long tube pumps new fluid into the pump. They have you turn your wheel to lock a few times while the machine does it's thing. I had him pump 2 gallons of new PS fluid thru the system because I had a PS pump grenade internally and there were TONS of metal shavings in the system. I mean the fluid looked like a glitter paint pen. I had tried running a gallon thru myself and I still had shavings. After he pumped my system out all of the shavings are gone.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)