GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wait, you mean you have to remove axle just to change rear wheel bearing? Hey, I don't know much.
    That old man, he don't think like no old man.
    "He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
    "I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by GuyGene View Post
    Wait, you mean you have to remove axle just to change rear wheel bearing? Hey, I don't know much.
    Yup, even on a full floater...

But on a semifloater, you pull the diff cover, pull the crosspin and spider gears (assuming an open diff), slide the axles in a tad to pull the c-clips, then pull the axles from the housing...a little more involved than a full float.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyGene View Post
    On my 1990 Silverado 3500 and my Dad's 2000 LS 3500 you have to pull the axle to even get to the brakes. On the 1984 Scottsdale we always pulled the drum when rotating the tires to check the brakes/drum and give it all a good blast of air to clean out any dust. Since you have to pull the axle to remove the drum on the 1990 & 2000 pads are only checked through the inspection hole and drums are checked when the pads need replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    I bet most owners don't distinguish between the short beds, its either a long bed (8-foot) or a short bed (everything else under 8-foot).

And I am pretty sure the one 1500HD I saw (only one of two I have ever seen) was an long bed...but that was a while ago, and it was only a "GM made a 1500HD?" thought at that time...
    OK I replaced the wheel bearings with no problems, but still have the whining noise, which after further investing found the noise was coming from the differenial. so back to Advanced auto for bearings. Had to remove the axials again and the rear cover and drive shaft. Now I can't find out how to remove the differential shaft. Got all the guts out of the differential but can't seem to fine out how you remove the inner and outer bearings. Any body know the combination?
    Ben

They press on and off. Is the noise load sensitive (more or less throttle) if it is then its probably just wear on the ring and pinion. Only way to cure that is to replace the ring and pinion.

Quote Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
    They press on and off. Is the noise load sensitive (more or less throttle) if it is then its probably just wear on the ring and pinion. Only way to cure that is to replace the ring and pinion.
    a.graham,
    the truck has 287,500 miles and the noise is throttle sensitive. Seems the loudest at about 40 mph and goes away when letting off the throttle. So if it is the ring and pinion gear how do I remove the pinion? If I can remove the pinion then I also want to replace the inner and outer bearings while I have it torn down. I've got the ring gear out already and the yoke and seal is off.

ben

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bherr View Post
    a.graham,
    the truck has 287,500 miles and the noise is throttle sensitive. Seems the loudest at about 40 mph and goes away when letting off the throttle. So if it is the ring and pinion gear how do I remove the pinion? If I can remove the pinion then I also want to replace the inner and outer bearings while I have it torn down. I've got the ring gear out already and the yoke and seal is off.

ben
    to do this I would have had a transmission / drive train repair shop experienced with these vehicles do the pinion work. you have to properly adjust things and that takes experience also specific detailed info to make the proper adjustments.

most of these vehicles do make a whine sound at the 40 MPH. if its not leaking I would just leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    to do this I would have had a transmission / drive train repair shop experienced with these vehicles do the pinion work. you have to properly adjust things and that takes experience also specific detailed info to make the proper adjustments.

most of these vehicles do make a whine sound at the 40 MPH. if its not leaking I would just leave it alone.
    l'm thinking about calling the local salvage yard & installing a whole new rear end. I'll just reinstall the new wheel bearings.
    Ben

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bherr View Post
    l'm thinking about calling the local salvage yard & installing a whole new rear end. I'll just reinstall the new wheel bearings.
    Ben
    if you use a salvage rear diff then that would be better .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12