GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Question How do you tell difference-semi vs full floating rear azles?

Need to replace rear wheel bearings on 2000 silverado 4x4 ext. Cab w/short bed.
    Manual doesn't tell you how to tell tbe difference.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks,
    Ben

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bherr View Post
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks,
    Ben

what you have is the eaton locking differential. most have the 3.73 gears. 5.3L engine .

you must remove the axles and install the bearings. simple job along with new seals.

with this I would wash [mineral spirits]out the gear box and make sure that the wheel bearing drain back holes on the rear cover are open. they only used one type of axle.

this is for the 8.5 ring gear on the 1500 http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...uestid=1225827

" other bearings would be required with the 9.5 ring gear."

Last edited by j cat; 08-22-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Former Member

Can anyone help?
    Thanks,
    Ben

Look at the hub...if there is a ring of bolts in the center of the wheel studs, its a full floater. They are almost always eight-lug (or more), unless its antique. The attached picture (courtesy of someone else) is a full floating axle, see the protrusion in the center of the wheel studs?

They are typically found on 2500s and 3500s, while the semi-floats are found on the 1500s.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks,
    Ben
    IIRC, only the 2500 and 3500 trucks have the option of a full floating axles. From your post it sounds like you have a 1500 so no floating axles.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Former Member

I was going to say that, but that darn 1500 "HD" drops in there...and I can't remember if it had the big semi-float or a Corp 14-bolt...

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    what you have is the eaton locking differential. most have the 3.73 gears. 5.3L engine .

you must remove the axles and install the bearings. simple job along with new seals.

with this I would wash [mineral spirits]out the gear box and make sure that the wheel bearing drain back holes on the rear cover are open. they only used one type of axle.

this is for the 8.5 ring gear on the 1500 http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...uestid=1225827

" other bearings would be required with the 9.5 ring gear."

Thanks J cat! that's what I thought but wanted to make certain.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    I was going to say that, but that darn 1500 "HD" drops in there...and I can't remember if it had the big semi-float or a Corp 14-bolt...
    From what I've read, the Silverado 1500HD only came in a 6'6" bed. The OP said short bed (can we assume 5'9").

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    The OP said short bed (can we assume 5'9").
    Not if it's a 2000. The crew cab 1500 didn't exist then. a 2000 short bed would be 6'6".
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Former Member

From what I've read, the Silverado 1500HD only came in a 6'6" bed. The OP said short bed (can we assume 5'9").

I bet most owners don't distinguish between the short beds, its either a long bed (8-foot) or a short bed (everything else under 8-foot).

And I am pretty sure the one 1500HD I saw (only one of two I have ever seen) was an long bed...but that was a while ago, and it was only a "GM made a 1500HD?" thought at that time...

Legend

the 1500 HD crew cab came out in 2001 I think. I know a person who got one in the fall of 2000.

the 2000 ext cab came out with 3 then 4 doors , but not regular doors like the crew cab.

I have the 2000 silverado sales literature.

In march 2000 I ordered my 2000 ext cab 4 door . in jan of 2000 is when they started making the 4 door model. this was something I learned was going to happen so I waited to see how it would look,before ordering.

In 2000 you could get the ext cab 4 door model with the long bed . I got the short bed. the long bed makes it a very long truck for my uses. 247 inches is the length

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by