GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Exclamation Headlights don't work! HELP PLEASE

Hey everybody,
    I have a 1982 K10 and a while ago my headlights stopped working so I took some steps to fix it and nothing has fixed it. I have replaced the switch and had the ground coming off of the engine block and the negative ground replaced. That didn't work. I'm stumped I just don't know what to do. Fuse is good. Oh and one more thing, I have KC lights and there is an inline fuse under the dash for them and when I flip the switch the connection gets very hot and smokes so I have no lights..... If someone could help me with both that would be great. Oh and the highbrights don't work.....I was told to replace the dimmer switch and i was also told that i could wire my headlights to my battery and to a switch. i was told that that could help my problem.

Thanks,
    Crockpot

1982 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale
    5.0 Liter 350 Short Block
    Automatic/4WD35-Inch Tires
    15-Inch Micky Thompsons / 6 Inch Suspension Lift

Is the KC light power run through a relay under the hood between the battery and the KC's, with just a signal wire run to the dash switch? Also make sure the wire is proper gauge for the power being conducted.

On the headlights theres also a ground wire from the headlight wire harness to the firewall for a ground.
    Also check the plugs at the headlights themselves for corrosion, corrosion on one light has been known to stop both of them from working.

Get a multimeter or even a circuit tester light and start following the power. See if there's actually voltage at the switch, you should have 12volts, if not then check the fusible link. If you do have 12 volts then check down at the dimmer switch and follow it through that towards the headlights. Check your grounds for the harness.

Does the 82' have the foot activated high lamp switch? I have seen those go bad and kill the headlights.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)