GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Yeah, the DIC fuel mileage is more vehicles is off somewhat. We have that issue especially regarding heavy semi trucks where tracking mpg is very important for cost benefit analysis. On my semi, I installed a ScanGauge D and then calibrated the output to match real world mpg figures, and now I can get true instantaneous and average mpg numbers from the display in real time. By the way they have the same device available for everyone's car and pickup also, and it can provide extra information from the ECM that there is no dash gauge for. And you can clear fault codes with it!

http://www.scangauge.com
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

i know my DIC tents to read a touch high, ive checked it against pen and paper about 6 times, it tends to read about .3 mpg high, and its consistent about it.

i can live with that.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Mine reads high on mpg while driving and overall avg is roughly 2mpg low, Ive been keeping a record since day 1.
    The fuel used counter is almost spot on since the first day.
    I started doing paper/pen calculations after watching the DIC in the wifes HHR and realizing at times it was wildly optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Stchman are your figures all from the DIC or are you doing them with pen and paper?
    The reason I ask is Ive found from experience numbers on the DIC are unreliable as they swing both high and low but never end with a true number.
    From the DIC, but the DIC on my trucks reads within ~0.5MPG either way.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyBoy2009 View Post
    Il keep driving and see what i get...even if it helps/doesnt i like AFM off...feels liike a truck again
    The switch from V8 to V4 to V8 is virtually instantaneous. AFM does not make the truck "feel" different. Since I've had the AFM off, the truck feels the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpie View Post
    Yeah, my main goal with disabling AFM was preventing problems associated with that stuff, and eliminating any lag issues when switching between V4 and V8. I paid for a V8, and that is what I want, all the time, every time.
    There is no lag from switching between V4 and V8. Any perception otherwise is pure conjecture.

So far the AFM is proving to have no benefit to real world fuel economy, and there does appear to be a more than fringe number of people having oil consumption issues. As long as I get the same fuel economy, the AFM can remain off.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

what people are calling the lag is when you stand on it and go to pass someone, the truck switches to V8, then down shifts, it takes it a second, and that is very noticeable.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    what people are calling the lag is when you stand on it and go to pass someone, the truck switches to V8, then down shifts, it takes it a second, and that is very noticeable.

Alex
    IMO it's all in people's minds. I've been driving AFM Silverados since 2008 and have never noticed a lag in throttle response. The switch from V4 to V8 is virtually instantaneous.

The delay for the transmission to downshift is not from AFM, but from GM wanting to keep the truck's RPMs as low as possible for as long as possible.

Early on with the afm, even gm admits that there was a hesitation when moving back from v4 to v8 mode. I think they've said that was only on the first year or two.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Have you ever pulled a trailer?...more than a golf cart or a lawn mower?...you will feel the diff when it switched when your pulling a 5k trailer going up a hill or passing someone...dont tell me its the tranny its NOT...while watching the DIC and feeling it,you will know...and it does make it feel different going down the road with it off!...the sound off the exhaust being "normal" makes it feel diff also...pull a trailer and you will tell the diff...

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    275/65R18 Toyo Open Country AT2's
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit(want to get the 2.5 RC kit)
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    ProFlaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Blacked out Tail Lights
    Aftermarket Rims

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyBoy2009 View Post
    Have you ever pulled a trailer?...more than a golf cart or a lawn mower?...you will feel the diff when it switched when your pulling a 5k trailer going up a hill or passing someone...dont tell me its the tranny its NOT...while watching the DIC and feeling it,you will know...and it does make it feel different going down the road with it off!...the sound off the exhaust being "normal" makes it feel diff also...pull a trailer and you will tell the diff...
    I have pulled trailers and hauled heavy loads. The lag you are feeling when trying to pass someone while pulling a 5K lb trailer, IS the 5K lb trailer. Also if you are pulling a trailer as heavy as 5K lbs, it is highly advisable you switch to tow/haul mode.

If you are pulling a 5K lb trailer UP a hill, the engine will NEVER be in V4 mode.

Bad example chief...forget that last post...yes i know part of it is the 5k trailer...and i DO use tow/haul mode getting up to the speed i need to be...then i turn it off...im not gonna argue here...you must have that "special" one...read this

From www.edmunds.com...

Since this is a site dedicated to car purchases, I'm certain Edmunds would want their readers to know what other new owners are saying:

If you're considering a new 2013 GMC Sierra or 2013 Chevrolet Silverado make sure you take it on a long test drive at 45 mph on level ground. Turn the Driver Display to Instant Economy. Ask the salesman if the Active Fuel Management AFM is seamless from four cylinders to eight. Sure GM says its seamless from eight to four. You're essentially coasting. During the test drive, determine if the transmission is growling as the AFM activates all eight cylinders. Make sure you grill the salesman with questions such as "has General Motors received overwhelming complaints about this transmission"? "Have they received complaints about clunking"? "Are there General Motors maintenance directives referencing all of the complaints"? "Do the directives instruct the dealer to avoid the issue and tell the owner "it's operating as designed"?

DRIVE IT EXTENSIVELY THEN ASK IF THE GENERAL MOTORS SIX SPEED TRANSMISSION WITH AFM IS AN ACKWARD MESS. MANY ARE.

In their latest seasonal publication, GMC The Magazine, on page 5, they state the "engines seamlessly switch to four cylinders." Hey GMC Magazine, why not describe the opposite, the switch back up to eight cylinders? Oh, that's right, I'm sure omission of that little tidbit was an oversight! The switch up to eight IS FAR FROM SEAMLESS. It's actually incredibly annoying and no, you never get used to it. A friend put dual pipes and glass packs on his. That makes the growling and lagging even more noticeable.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... Last Post byLast Post by