GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... Last Post byLast Post by
    Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

When I was a kid- 50's 60's-born 1951-
    I lived in a rural area- small town-south louisiana-and rural are in Penn before that.
    I distinctly remembering going to Western Auto to buy 22's
    and I ALWAYS bought 22 shorts-since they were 39 cents/box vs 59 cents for 22 long rifles-can't remember EVER buying 22 LONGS??
    I mail ordered a Winchester 190 22 RIFLE -in about 1964-fill out some order blank from a magazine
    Not sure If I lied about my age-I was 13 yo-or had my mon or dad sign it?
    Anyway it arrived maybe 1 month later-in the US mail-still have that rifle-but wish I spent $10 and got the fancier Winchester 290-nicer wood fancier finish-but I was a cheapskate even then-

I also talked my dad into signing for a High Standard 22 pistol-at Sears -1964
    One year later I talked him into signing for a $88 Browning High Power-I paid $66 cheapskate dad paid $22-
    pricey gun-he didn't actually let me take that gun out without supervision until I was 17 or so

Yes Cowpie times were different.We could go behind the levee or to the dump and shoot our 22's as much as we could afford-meaning ONE box of bullets-39 cents.

But on safety stuff-airbags forcing them to meet crash standards-Corps NEVER would have done it without being squeezed-same story on CAFE regs-
    No way would we have low cost 20-25 mpg 1/2 ton trucks if not for CAFE REGS
    Now the beeping crap-that is just annoying.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

i dont mind them adding stuff to make people safer, its the fact that i cant turn the crap off. cant disconnect the onstar, daytime driving lights, i have to pull fuzes, just give me a damn switch!

I might be young, but i can remember the days of being able to go do stuff, without someone telling me I couldn't do it.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Let's see, safety things I like:
    - safety glass,
    - collapsible steering column,
    - padded dash,
    - upper and lower control arms,
    - anti-sway bars,
    - disk brakes,
    - radial tires,
    - seat belts,
    - 3rd brake light,
    - air bags,
    - daytime running lights,
    - hands free phone,

and the list goes on.

I'm older than all of you, I lost a number of friends because of vehicles that did not have some of the above safety features.

The reason we have them, is because they work, they save lives.

The reason the government(s) mandate them, is because morons think they don't need them.

Seat belts were in Canadian vehicles for a long time before wearing them became mandatory. The government forced us to wear them because we needed to be forced into wearing them.

Disable the safety features if you wish, live, if indeed you do, with the consequences.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Well, for the general public, I suppose all these features are nice. For rural dwellers that use their pickups for tasks around their place and work, not so much.

Park sensors.... the constant having to push a button to disable because one leaves the tail gate down for and extended period because they are hauling stuff around the back areas of their farm, ranch, acreage, etc. Same is true for those of us that tend to leave a ball hitch in the receiver. I know, just push the button to disable, but it is not always remembered each and every time you get in and out of the pickup checking a fence line. They sure seemed fine at the dealership, but after getting the pickup out in the "real" world off the pavement, they are nothing but a hassle. Mine are no longer since they have been completely disabled.

Daytime running lights. Ok, it is the trucker in me that hates these. Say, for instance, a vehicle is trying to back up a trailer into a tight area at night, you pull in there, now those stupid daytime running lights are blinding the guy, where as you could just turn your lights over to the marker light setting and go on around that person without screwing up their vision. I have lost track of the times when I am trying to back up 70 feet of truck into a tight area and some moron pulls up and waits for me, all the time in "drive" and those stupid driving lights are hitting me in the face. Oft, I have thought about how a two pound sledge hammer would do wonders on those lights. I know how to turn my lights on in low light conditions and rain/fog. Hence, the daytime running light on my new pickup are no more.

Seat belt warning beeps. Nothing like getting in and out of the pickup all afternoon, only moving a hundred feet at a time in a cow pasture, and having that insane beeping going on each time. I am not going to fasten and unfasten my seat belts all day long in a situation like that. Moving along at 5 mph thru a field or pasture is not going to provide a scenario that, boy, I wish I had my seatbelt on. Could have been killed running over that bull snake or going thru that low draw on the back 40. It is so dangerous running over a cow pie nowadays.

All of this stuff is fine for normal daily commute stuff or weekend recreation running around, along with the running to the mall. I did leave the backup camera operational for the wife, but I refuse to use it. My one time I decided to look at it, I wacked a stationary object with the left corner rear bumper. If I had been backing like one is supposed to be doing it.... using all the mirrors, looking out the driver's window, etc, I would be willing to bet I would have not hit anything. After all, the last time I bent a bumper on a pickup was 1973. And over 4 million miles of operating commercial trucks, I haven't gone running over stuff while backing. But throw that stupid camera in the pickup to distract me, and things went wrong. To the tune of $2500.

But, to each their own. Enjoy all these technical goodies. Mine don't work any more, and life is better for it.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

GM has a WIDE customer base with their pickups, so they have to make and appeal to a lot of people. I think GM in the truck segment has done a great job. Has the pickup truck lost some of its original roots, yes, but GM is in the business to make money. Making trucks that appeal to 2% of the buyers would cause their sales to plummet.

As far as people buying a luxury pickup and then complaining about all the luxury features on it!!!! Chevrolet makes a W/T that is more suited to being a farm or construction implement.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Let's look at that. Does the WT offer engines without AFM? No. How about without seatbelt sensors? No. Ah, surely option to not have daytime running lights? Nope. The seatbelt chime "may" be mandatory, so will concede that. AFM is not, without dispute. The ONLY optional feature I said anything against was the parking sensors, so your points are not well taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpie View Post
    Let's look at that. Does the WT offer engines without AFM? No. How about without seatbelt sensors? No. Ah, surely option to not have daytime running lights? Nope. The seatbelt chime "may" be mandatory, so will concede that. AFM is not, without dispute. The ONLY optional feature I said anything against was the parking sensors, so your points are not well taken.
    The W/T engine in crew cab form is the 4.8L(no AFM), you have to upgrade and pay for the 5.3L in W/T trim. The W/T also does not have parking sensors or a backup camera even available.

You could have gotten your truck with the 6.2L (no AFM).

As far as seat belt sensors, those are mandated by law.

All GM vehicles are equipped with daytime running lamps, either pull the fuses or rotate the headlight knob.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

My 1998 Suburban-DRL
    I pulled the fuse because I wanted to install HIDs- and I thought the DRL might foul that up.

We have a backup camera on the Prius-it has a TINY rear window-really poor rear visibility
    But I'm too old-wrong generation-I just can't bring myself to trust the camera-so I just twist around when I back up-just like 1964.
    Wish I could get accustomed to it-not as flexible as I once was.My 27 yo son uses it-seems OK with it.
    The seat belt ding ding-is the only really annoying thing on my 98 suburban-but all cars have it-so...
    I would LOVE to have the mpg the latest 5.3 delivers-bet I could get 26 mpg on long trips with it in a suburban-
    But $45000-no way-I'll buy a 2004 soon-$7000-$8000 maybe

Your original rebuttal, you stated these things were "luxury items". We have vastly different ideas on what constitutes a luxury. I always viewed more the inside the cab stuff as luxury items, not stuff the OEM shoves down my throat. And we all know, these things tend to come in packages. Not much you can ala carte anymore. Sure, maybe a 4.8L or 6.2L may or may not have AFM, so.I would not then have an engine I wanted, so there is no win - win.

I like many features I have in the pickup, and several I don't. It still sucks that I have to take something I don't want to get something I do. At least with semi trucks, you can ala carte everything right down to the type of hub seals that get put on.

I do know, that this has to be the first new vehicle I have bought that is tough to get excited about. Sad thing is, no one else is making anything that gets me drooling either.

You can still order everything "ala carte" when you order a mini cooper. That is the only vehicle manufacture I know of that still does it.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... Last Post byLast Post by