GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 Last Post byLast Post by

Why are people complaining about the seat belt chime? If you wear your seat belt like you should, it won't go off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

I'm complaining about the passengers seat chime going off when I put a heavy book bag or groceries on it
    In truth-I pretty much can ignore it-but it is a little annoying-
    I truly love my Suburban- best $2950 vehicle I will ever own
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpie View Post
    Your original rebuttal, you stated these things were "luxury items". We have vastly different ideas on what constitutes a luxury. I always viewed more the inside the cab stuff as luxury items, not stuff the OEM shoves down my throat. And we all know, these things tend to come in packages. Not much you can ala carte anymore. Sure, maybe a 4.8L or 6.2L may or may not have AFM, so.I would not then have an engine I wanted, so there is no win - win.

I like many features I have in the pickup, and several I don't. It still sucks that I have to take something I don't want to get something I do. At least with semi trucks, you can ala carte everything right down to the type of hub seals that get put on.

I do know, that this has to be the first new vehicle I have bought that is tough to get excited about. Sad thing is, no one else is making anything that gets me drooling either.
    There is frankly not a big difference between the 4.8L and the 5.3L The 4.8L has 302HP and 305tq and the 5.3L is 315HP and 335tq. The 4.8L is also E85 capable as well. The 6.2L has 403HP and 411tq and is E85 capable as well. Only the 5.3L in the Silverado has AFM.

If you were able to ala-carte every single feature on the truck, it would cost at least $10K more.

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    I'm complaining about the passengers seat chime going off when I put a heavy book bag or groceries on it
    In truth-I pretty much can ignore it-but it is a little annoying-
    I truly love my Suburban- best $2950 vehicle I will ever own
    You must be setting some pretty heavy stuff on the seat. Try putting the stuff in the back seat. Get an old seat belt lock to shut the chime off.

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    The W/T engine in crew cab form is the 4.8L(no AFM), you have to upgrade and pay for the 5.3L in W/T trim. The W/T also does not have parking sensors or a backup camera even available.

You could have gotten your truck with the 6.2L (no AFM).

As far as seat belt sensors, those are mandated by law.

All GM vehicles are equipped with daytime running lamps, either pull the fuses or rotate the headlight knob.
    i tryed to get my 2012 gmc seirra regular cab sle Z/71 4x4 with a 6.2L could not do it it is not an option for a regular cab and once again it looks like the 2014 are going to be the same way. So the only way i can get one is buy a gm 6.2L create motor and pull out my 5.3L with afm which sucks because you now have a motor sitting around u did not want and the extra expense to go with it. What it comes down to in my opinion is that u should be able to factory custom order any option the line comes with for example a Denali regular cab if u wanted full bling or just a plane wt with the biggest motor they offer. and yes u can not get the 6.2l in a regular cab wt ether.

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Why are people complaining about the seat belt chime? If you wear your seat belt like you should, it won't go off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Here is a good scenario for you. You have to check a fence line. You start, stop, get out, get back in, start, stop....... most of the afternoon. Now.... go ahead and fasten the belt, unfasten the belt all afternoon while you check that fence line. I understand your comment, and don't necessarily disagree with it, if all some of us ever did was drive on a public thoroughfare. I am not going to fasten that darn belt to drive from my shop to the grain bin 500 feet away on my own property. I am not going to fasten it when making frequent stops checking drain tile intakes along terraces.

Now to the other points being made. Sure, I could have gotten a WT to avoid all of this, but I do like some of the luxury items that is in the interior of my LT that I cannot get in the WT. That being said, I dislike many of the non luxury items that get shoved down my throat. I made that point clear. I didn't order the truck, but I did have the dealer bring one in from approximately 200 miles away from another dealer that was about as good as I could hope for in a balancing act between getting what I wanted and doing so at the best value. Unfortunately, the Detroit Dweeb stuff came as part of the package. And one has to keep in mind, the wife uses the pickup more than I do. I wasn't going to stick her with some WT truck. This pickup has to fulfill a number of roles. But when I use it, I can't stand the nonsense they shove at me. Unlike a lot of folks, at least based on what some of the comments suggest, the wife might use it to go see her folks one day and the next she is pickup up parts or supplies in town. We might use it to go to town and get dinner and a movie, and the next day I am using it to haul a load of fence posts from town. If all it did was business type of stuff, then a WT would have been a realistic option. But it isn't.

Ala carte could cause a pickup to be more expensive, but for my semi, I got a 2013, spec'd the exact way I wanted it, at a price that was $40,000 less than just about everything on any dealer's lot that was typical package kind of stuff. And I got to avoid all the Federal Excise Tax on new equipment to boot. And it is one loaded piece of equipment. Complete with every cabinet available including wrap around the sleeper airline style cabinets in a 70" sleeper unit complete with wood trim throughout, hanging clothes closet, dual multi shelf cabinets, built in refrigerator/freezer, wood grain signature interior, more dash gauges than the space shuttle (well, almost). I got the truck, ready to go to work, for the whopping cost of $112,000. Only down side it that it took 5 months from order to delivery. Most of the other new stuff with "package" type builds were in the $150,000 to $160,000 range. And mine still has a 550 hp Detroit, 18 speed Eaton double over, and full lockers in both drive axles. And guess what? NO DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS, NO SEATBELT CHIME, AND NO CUTTING CYLINDERS OFF BECAUSE SOMEONE THINKS I DON'T NEED THEM, AND I DIDN'T HAVE TO "SETTLE" FOR AN ENGINE I DIDN'T WANT. I didn't even have to settle for the standard turbo that the engine came with. It shouldn't be any more expensive with a pickup to order custom. GM, Ford, and whoever else just doesn't want to cater to their customers.
    Last edited by Cowpie; 09-09-2013 at 11:54 PM.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

6. Likes Sierraowner5.3 liked this post

Cowpie very well said, now a days everyone is used to the big 3 telling us what we can have. With out us they have no cusumers, as for me my next truck might be a old one and go back to the basicts with a couple of goods put in

I think most of us understand (or at least, appreciate) the problems of trying to make one truck perform two completely different jobs.

There must be work arounds for most of the problems.

I've not tried (because I don't need to), but why not just clip the seat belt fastened. sit on it while driving. Maybe GM saw this coming and set the BCM to monitor that the belt is unfastened and refastened every driving cycle. IDK, but I'd give it a try.

The back up alert: I have it and I drive with my tailgate down a lot. The first time I backup the alarm sounds, then it shuts itself off, never to sound again until I turn the truck off.

The nav package (or mirror) with reverse display. If you don't like it, don't use it. I have it and I don't use it, why let it upset you, don't look at it. It is, however, the best tool in the shed for getting under the hitch of a trailer.

Sorry, I don't understand the complaining............. you buy a truck for a duel purpose, put up with the things that piss you off and that your wife loves............................................. ......................................she puts up with you
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    I think most of us understand (or at least, appreciate) the problems of trying to make one truck perform two completely different jobs.

There must be work arounds for most of the problems.

I've not tried (because I don't need to), but why not just clip the seat belt fastened. sit on it while driving. Maybe GM saw this coming and set the BCM to monitor that the belt is unfastened and refastened every driving cycle. IDK, but I'd give it a try.

The back up alert: I have it and I drive with my tailgate down a lot. The first time I backup the alarm sounds, then it shuts itself off, never to sound again until I turn the truck off.

The nav package (or mirror) with reverse display. If you don't like it, don't use it. I have it and I don't use it, why let it upset you, don't look at it. It is, however, the best tool in the shed for getting under the hitch of a trailer.

Sorry, I don't understand the complaining............. you buy a truck for a duel purpose, put up with the things that piss you off and that your wife loves............................................. ......................................she puts up with you
    People are not happy unless they have something to complain about. I learned that LONG ago.

Week 2:

I filled up last night and here are the numbers.

Miles driven - 391
    DIC fuel economy - 18.5
    Calculated fuel economy - 17.8

DIC fuel used - 21.1
    Actual gas pumped in - 22.0

Which is more accurate, the DIC or the pump dispensing gas at Costco, who knows?

All in all the fuel economy is good with AFM disabled. In my instance, AFM translates into near zero real world fuel economy gains so far. Instead of going by what others say, I have empirical data to go on.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Do you have good pre dis-abled FE numbers?
    About the same??

Pretty decent FE in any case