GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Front end noise

  1. #11

    Default

    Yep. Driver's side cv axle. Got the part, it was in stock, at a local Advanced Auto at a good price. I was very surprised to find it in stock. I wonder if this is a common problem. Took me a couple of hours to install but I had to run to the hardware store a couple of times to get the right wheel nut socket.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

  2. #12

    Default

    Glad I could help! Was one of the boots torn? I am just curious.

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  3. #13
    Jr. Mechanic
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Als09Sierra View Post
    Yep. Driver's side cv axle. Got the part, it was in stock, at a local Advanced Auto at a good price. I was very surprised to find it in stock. I wonder if this is a common problem. Took me a couple of hours to install but I had to run to the hardware store a couple of times to get the right wheel nut socket.
    It is a common problem. I have a mechanic friend and he's changed out a jillion of them.
    2013 Escape Titanium 4WD

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donl View Post
    It is a common problem. I have a mechanic friend and he's changed out a jillion of them.
    Interesting. It seems like a design flaw or week point in the drive train. At least it wasn't too bad to fix.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Glad I could help! Was one of the boots torn? I am just curious.
    There was nothing obvious on the boot, but grease all over the place. There was a spot of grease by one of the clamps, but that may have happened after the removal.

  5. #15
    Jr. Mechanic
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Als09Sierra View Post
    Interesting. It seems like a design flaw or week point in the drive train. At least it wasn't too bad to fix.

    - - - Updated - - -



    There was nothing obvious on the boot, but grease all over the place. There was a spot of grease by one of the clamps, but that may have happened after the removal.
    If there was grease all over it no doubt had a hole in the boot. I put a stick thru a boot when mine was new (less than 1500 miles). Did a nice thorough and free job of undercoating in the process.

  6. Likes Als09Sierra liked this post
  7. #16

    Default

    So a few months later and I'm getting some noise when the wheel is locked to the left. I was under the truck this morning changing the oil and happened to notice that the boot is covered in grease. There is some on the brake line and it looks like a mess. I plan to take it to a local garage in the morning to have them take a look at it. I'm not getting any noise like before, but the boot is collapsed.

    Could something be causing the boot to burst?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •