GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Spongy brakes

Default Spongy brakes

On my 05 Silverado my brakes feel spongy and the reservoir level keeps going down but there are absolutely no leaks. Could this be my master cylinder is shot? Thanks in advance.

Maybe the master cylinder, could also be a leaky caliper or rear brake cylinder/caliper. You should check all the brake components for leaks.

Link to my thread when my brakes were going out it has some helpful info from other members:
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...es-what-brakes

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg05 View Post
    On my 05 Silverado my brakes feel spongy and the reservoir level keeps going down but there are absolutely no leaks. Could this be my master cylinder is shot? Thanks in advance.

There has to be a leak somewhere if the fluid is going down. It is not magically disappearing. You need to do what Conlan said and check everything. It could be leaking thru the master cylinder and into the brake booster. If that is the case you should see fluid if you look under your dash where the rod goes from your bake pedal thru your firewall.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

From what I have read brake fluid does not evaporate, so if the fluid level is dropping, you have a leak.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

5. Likes Pikey liked this post
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg05 View Post
    this mysterious loss of brake fluid and soft spongy brakes is from a leak. this leak could be the line running to the rear brakes on / along the frame rail next to the fuel tank. some have this line leak every 3-4 yrs in the rust belt in this area. the brake fluid will evaporate if the leak is small . this I have seen before. the brake lines get pin holes and leak slowly.

now on the booster any leak with the booster will cause a hard pedal.

pedal to the floor is usually the master is bad.