GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2000 Suburban Power Steering pressure line replacement

I have a 2000 Suburban 2500 and the pressure line from the Hydroboost to the PS pump sprung a pinhole leak. I have the lines ordered (Figured I would replace the one from the Hydroboost to Rack as well). Is there any special tips or tricks I need to know about? I found a website that said it is best to access the PS pump line from under the vehicle. Just curious if anyone has done this and can give me some heads up. Thanks

if it is the line from the hydro boost to the pump then you might have to pull the pump off. The fitting that screws into the back of the pump is surrounded by a bracket that may make it a real PITA to get at. at least it is on my 05. After you change them you will need to purge the system of air. I just replaced the PS pump on mine a few months ago. The directions from Ac delco said that after installing the pump you should jack up the front wheels and turn the wheel from lock to lock 30 times with the truck off. I also pumped the brake multiple times to bleed the hydro booster. After that I started the truck and was surprised to see no foaming of the ps fluid. I just checked the level and put the cap on. A few weeks later I had the hydro booster replaced under warranty (again). I told the guy at the shop to bleed the system using the method above. He just looked at me and said, that does not make sense but I will humor you. When I went to pick the truck up the guy was amazed at how the method worked, it saved him about 30 minutes of waiting for the foam to subside so he could get the correct fluid level.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    if it is the line from the hydro boost to the pump then you might have to pull the pump off. The fitting that screws into the back of the pump is surrounded by a bracket that may make it a real PITA to get at. at least it is on my 05. After you change them you will need to purge the system of air. I just replaced the PS pump on mine a few months ago. The directions from Ac delco said that after installing the pump you should jack up the front wheels and turn the wheel from lock to lock 30 times with the truck off. I also pumped the brake multiple times to bleed the hydro booster. After that I started the truck and was surprised to see no foaming of the ps fluid. I just checked the level and put the cap on. A few weeks later I had the hydro booster replaced under warranty (again). I told the guy at the shop to bleed the system using the method above. He just looked at me and said, that does not make sense but I will humor you. When I went to pick the truck up the guy was amazed at how the method worked, it saved him about 30 minutes of waiting for the foam to subside so he could get the correct fluid level.
    I am going to try this when I replace my pump. Its close to how Ive always done it but I think I always did it running.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

I heard that the 2000-2002 were a different design and you don't need to pull the pump if you go up from underneath, but I havn't looked yet. I just want to make sure I get the o-rings in the right place and dont tighten things down too much.