GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 1996 7.4 suburban will not start

HELP!!!!! I have a 96 Suburban 7.4. I was driving a month ago and stopped at the light. When I pushed the gas it lunged and quit. I have changed the timing chain and gears, Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Cam Sensor, Crank Sensor, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump and have no change. It acts like it wants to start but it will not fire. I have 56 psi at the plenum with the new pump. I am not getting any codes when a plug it into a code reader. Any suggestions as I am stumped.

Are you getting fuel to the engine? Are you getting spark at the spark plugs?

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

I have 56 psi at the plenum and I pulled the #1 plug and checked the spark and it is ok.

Next question would be since youve got spark at the cylinder and fuel at the cylinder are you getting spark and fuel at the right time.
    I see where you replaced parts, were any of these parts known bad and identifiable as contributing to the original problem or is the present no start condition a continuation of the issue?

We know you replaced theses parts, but did you make sure all of them are plugged in all the way or the harnesses may be damaged. just having a crank sensor unplugged will cause the truck no to start.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

The only part I know for sure was bad is the timing chain. It had jumped a couple teeth and is now correct. The other parts have just been a quest to try and get it to start.

Ok jumping time was the original issue.
    Did you check the valvetrain when you assembled the new parts?
    The 7.4 is an interference engine, to not get valve damage after jumping time would be lucky.
    Is it possible your 180 out?