GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Spark plugs

Default Spark plugs

I have a 1998 gmc k2500 , 7.4 l , best vehicle i have ever owned ( i'm 70 ) looking for advice on which spark plugs to use, leaning towards gm delco. Thank you

Generally considered the best choice for that engine, despite many people screaming about oem parts the one fact they never think about when oem parts fail is how many miles did you get before failure? They normally just allow the fact it failed to influence their decision while many times the parts have served a fair amont of time/miles.

Stick with AC Delco, you don't need to change.
    Last edited by The_Duke; 09-12-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Generally considered the best choice for that engine, despite many people screaming about oem parts the one fact they never think about when oem parts fail is how many miles did you get before failure? They normally just allow the fact it failed to influence their decision while many times the parts have served a fair amont of time/miles.
    Agreed! Stick with the AC Delco that came in it. Now reason to switch to a "fancy" plug. I let the guys at autozone convince me one time to put autolite plugs in my 2002 5.3L silverado. It ran like crap, it idled rough. I left them in for a week. Then I could not stand it anymore. I put the ac delco in and it ran smoother than ever. I returned the autolite plugs and the guys at the counter looked at them, said that they looked fine. Nothing wrong with them. As I was talking to a manager another guy walked in to return his autolite plugs because he said that his sierra ran poorly after installing them. I am not saying that autolite are bad plugs. They just did not make my truck run well. Why not put what the manufacturer wanted back in.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend
    Blog Entries

I agree with everyone else. They are good for 100,000 miles
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

Seems these run best with AC Delco. Just as a interesting side note. When I pulled my factory plugs to change out they had ac delco on one side and NGK on the other.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Delco or NGK
    Chuckie!!!

AC Delco plugs would be my choice. I'm big on OEM stuff as OEM stuff usually performs the best.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I put my plugs through 196,000 miles and replaced them with Delcos so I think the stock plugs do best.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

One more for AC Delco
    2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, Dmax/Allison, Taupe Gray Metallic, Line-x over the Rail & Rockers, S&B Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust, Rigid Dually D2's, Cognito Leveling Kit, Cognito Steering Braces plus much more.

"Suburban" There is no Substitute.:great:

SOLD - My Loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by