GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

VM Motori of Italy, a Detroit/Penske affiliated OEM, was who made the engine for the Liberty. They primarily made engines for marine use. Very solid reputation worldwide. It was thought, if you dig around for articles that discussed a diesel in the 1500 Ram last year, that VM was going to be the source of the diesel for that one as well.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

2. Likes ChevyFan liked this post
    Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Cowpie
    Thanks for info.I will check to see the history of the new dodge TD
    I have a MOPAR weakness-our first "V-8" was a Plymouth Fury III SW- 1965 with a 318
    My dad-cheapskate mpg type guy-always bought 6's-a 1951 Chevy 1954 Chevy
    then a 1958 Ford SW he cursed for MANY years(overheated) after dumping it
    then a 1961 Rambler SW with that ALUMINUM block 6- it blew head gaskets ever 3 MONTHS!!
    He really cursed that car(loved the seats and FE- if he was alive he probably would have held it against Romney)
    Finally he bought the Fury-brother and I learned to drive on it-we beat it as teenage boys from the 1960's would- it would show 111 on the speedometer-and we regularly ran it on the "1/4 mile" that was marked off in our rural area(actually was .4 mile judging from the 85 mph it showed)-rebuilt it at 135,000 miles-crank pistons cylinders valves -still looked good
    Brother bought a 1971 383 Cuda when he got back from VN- sold it to me when he was stationed in Iran(1975 we were allies of iranians) SOB -my brother-made me promise to sell the Cuda back to him when he returned-I did-but really missed that Cuda

yeah-glad to see Chrysler doing well-also had 1980 D-100 long bed-OK truck-windows-both- rusted shut-in 1983- IN nEW orleans not rust belt-and being a cheapskate I didn't have AC-could only open the little vents-
    But didn't hold that against MOPAR since it was no worse than average back then-never left me on the road.

Yep-happy to see Dodge making a comeback-great USA company-never would have figured Fiat would be its savior-but there it is! MB did NOTHING for Chrysler!

VM-so mainly marine diesels-well marine stuff HAS to be reliable- breakdown on the ocean river lake-big deal! Surprised they didn't use Cummins?? For YEARS the Cummins Ram was the ONLY Chrysler vehicle ANYONE would actively want to own-or brag about!
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

4. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

Cummins developed a V6 Diesel for Dodge a few years ago and it didn't go anywhere. Supposedly, this is the engine that the settled on. Many thought that VM would be the engine supplier since they did it before the the Liberty and they are an Italian company like Fiat. Who knows, all this could be wrong and someone we never heard of is making the engines. We'll find out for sure soon when they show up.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Hmmm
    Yeah-Cummins certainly knows how to design diesels-long history with Dodge
    I'm surprised Dodge is doing this-especially since they have a 18/25 mpg spark motor-much cheaper to build
    but niche markets are more important maybe-
    and truck owners LOVE Turbo Diesels
    so do MPG nuts over at the FE forum I frequent.Love diesels!

Really can't speak to the smaller diesels in the Dodge stuff, but I did really like the N-14 Cummins engine, had that engine in two different semi trucks. I had a Cummins ISX 15L in my last semi, and it really turned me off to Cummins. And the service shops, Cummins Central Power, in Des Moines, IA just sealed the deal that the likelihood of another Cummins product in any of my vehicles, personal or business, will be an extremely remote proposition. Red is no longer in my color wheel on engines. And the fact that over, the years, they have been listed as one of many major contributors to anti-firearm groups really doesn't help their case with me. There have been denials periodically, but they still keep showing up on these lists of donors. And I got turned off by V diesel engines years ago. I am strictly an inline engine person regarding diesels. So, the possiblity of ever buying a pickup with a diesel is extremely remote also. That is what I liked about the diesel in the Liberty, inline 4 cylinder. There is so much darn room under the hood of all of the pickups being made now, there is hardly a reason to have V diesel engines.
    Last edited by Cowpie; 08-31-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Chryslers chairman did an interview were he confirmed the engine would be mfg by V M Motori, he called it a Chrysler development, thats probably because V M Motori is owned by Penski corp (13%), Fiat corp (13%), Detroit Diesel (49%), and GM(25%), Detroit Diesel is in turn owned Diamler Chrysler which I guess would give them rights to call it a Chrysler development.

Except that Daimler has no stake in Chrysler anymore. But most of what you did state is all true regarding VM Motori regarding the Penske/Detroit/GM/Fiat connection. Daimler, in America, has only the heavy commercial truck interest since they sold off their interest in Chrysler. Just from my experience with VM engines, I am sold on them. Italians may not be the best at everything, but this plant sure knows how to build good engines.

Legend

gotta agree on the V-6 and such diesels??
    Straight six-no balance shafts required-
    I had a long diatribe written in one of my overlong posts against V-6 engines-so inelegant-balance shafts-when the straight six-balance shafts
    but I deleted it since I tend to talk too much anyway
    Yeah I really loved the idea of that 4.2 straight 6 spark motor Chevy put in the trailblazer-but they refused to develop it-guessing $$ problems-2008 etc-kinda put paid to it
    and GMs SBC are soooo good-they just can't get away from them-pushrods 2 valves and all-they still keep up with the more modern 4 valve DOHC motors-in respect to power and FE
    Yeah love straight 6's-straight 4's well they need balance shafts-but they are nice and compact anyway.

Wow-the ownership of VM- complicated!!
    Penske -Penske racing penske ??Roger Penske in the diesel business??
    Well I wish Dodge well-soft spot for Dodge Mopar-loved my 383 Cuda! Learned how to make cars slower thirstier and noisier working on it!! But it was FUN! Headers dual points high rise manifold dual feed dual pump 650 Holley mechanical secondarys- yep pretty sure the original vacuum secondary Holley was quicker-but not as cool!!

Moved the discussion on the 2014 Dodge ram 1500 TBD to this post.

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    So Dodge is putting the little TD in the 1/2 ton.I read they were putting it in a work van-a van that didn't look like a 1/2 ton van-looked a little like a Sprinter,but didn't know it was going in the 1/2 ton pickup.

I wonder how well it will sell?
    The 3.6 gas motor-300 hp-maybe 290 lb ft?) 8 speed AT- is rated 18/25-and will be $5000 cheaper I bet.
    It sure won't accelerate like the Hemi-won't tow any better than the hemi-not as well maybe since waaaay down power wise.
    Now it should get good mpg-but so does the much cheaper 3.6 gas motor?
    I like the idea, but not sure where it fits.MPG or tow?
    We'll see
    With 450ft/lb of torque, it better pull more than the v6! Lol my 360 powered dodge has half that and pulls more than a hemi truck.sad but true. I proved it with one of the guys I work with. He was bragging about how his hemi 3/4 ton would only go from 65 to 55 with 10k pounds behind it. I got tired of his mouth and hooked up to the same load of whatever crap was in the trailer and only dropped to 63mph on the same incline lol mine is a 1990 with granny 4 speed and his is an 09
    Chuckie!!!