GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your right but i def dont have that kind of money lol

Then don't spend money on other mods. You'll just be flushing your cash
    Chuckie!!!

I got a buddy that bought a k&n cai and his truck sounds good and it helps with the gas mileage. Im not looking to drop 400-500 at a time im a "do a little here and a little there" kinda guy unless it needs done asap.

As am I, but with all due respect to your buddy. Without being tuned. That cai hasn't done a thing. Mpg improvement or otherwise. I have a 99 sitting outside as I type this with a k&n intake that did zip except make the air intake louder.
    Chuckie!!!

Well when he put that cai on i no for a fact it gave him better mpg. Not alot but it did increase a bit. Believe me i no how that truck is mpg wise lol. And it did make a change in the way the truck sounded. Sounded a little meaner than before

Quote Originally Posted by packerhead78 View Post
    Well when he put that cai on i no for a fact it gave him better mpg. Not alot but it did increase a bit. Believe me i no how that truck is mpg wise lol. And it did make a change in the way the truck sounded. Sounded a little meaner than before
    Well of course it changed the way it sounds. The stock tubing has a resonator.... The cai does not.
    With that being said, I'm gonna go on eating my popcorn while you spend money on an intake or whatever other parts you deem fit for the cash...
    Chuckie!!!

I understand that but im stating that it obviously has done a change to it regardless if you think it or not lol. But thats not even the truck i am worried about its newer and not even a gm. But enjoy your popcorn or whatever and im gonna go do what i gotta do. Thanks

Just a warning on the 90's truck's cai, they don't seal well against the firewall and suck in a lot of hot air from the engine compartment. Best plan is to keep the stock air box that seals very well and get rid of the stock intake tube. The stock system is a cai just with a resonator.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

Exclamation

Well look, I respect your knowledge, But yes, My 305 TBI benefitted from the Airaid throttle body spacer, as did the K&N series 57 CAI in installed. I just don't see your idea that something has to be stock to be useful. The K&N CAI works on a number of levels, but and if for noting else than the Higher flow rate of air through the manifolds, You can't make more power than the air intake system will allow. If you can shove more into an engine, it will show up as an extra 2-3 horsepower. The same holds true for getting a set of "Shorty" headers as they allow the exhaust to exit the combustion chamber faster, Again just like the low restriction headers, and I installed a 3" Gibson exhaust system on my truck, a extra / quicker exit of exhaust yields better Increase in power. An engine is nothing more than a air compressor with a carburetor and a spark plug. But nothing can replace cubic inches. But spending a $1000.00 on a better intake and exhaust will give you a real bang for your buck. I can't turn off the bold ???????
    Last edited by JTWard; 09-10-2013 at 04:14 PM.

TB spacers are only good for N02 but as far as mods, get a specter or ebay intake $100 ..... Elc fans- $150. vette servos $25. and the best 2 are exhaust and tune. for boltons...
    and as mentioned above shprties are a waste of money.... i usto have some they just helped the truck sound more adgresive then i put on some long tubes/ypipe and a huge diffrence
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12