GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Sr. Apprentice

Default recomended shock absorbers

hey all im thinking its time for new shocks and wonder what ones to get. I just want some good oem style shocks . I just use 04 Tahoe for everyday driving. lot of both highway and city im looking at Monroe reflex shocks. whats your thoughts? oh ya its non air ride. it has the tow/off road pkg
    Last edited by mike042; 09-03-2013 at 07:46 PM.

What suspension do you have now? Air Ride or non air ride? We installed Monroe's to for go the Air Ride Monroe's.

I would buy bilsteins. I have had the monroe reflex and the reflex mono tubes. The monotubes rode like crap. I now have the reflex and they stink. They are pretty spongy. I will be buying bilsteins in the next month or two

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

That's the truth Bilstein does build the best and simplest shock out there and if your not happy for an extra 75 they will revalve them anyway you like.

I have only had one issue with them and I have installed hundreds of them for people. A few months back I ordered some from shockwarehouse.com for a clients 2008 durango. The fronts were fine. The rear shocks they sent me were covered in oil. So, I cut the ziptie holding the boot, when you pushed the rod down you could see bubbles coming from around the rod. They sent me 2 more. One of them had the same leak. Then they sent another one. That one leaked also. They finally actually looked at one and made sure it was not leaking when they shipped it to me. The company actually got pretty nasty about it on the phone. I am pretty sure that they delayed sending me that last shock for 2 weeks just to bother me.

I have 202,000+ miles on my factory Bilsteins and they're still going strong!! Well the fronts are the rear is sagging with age.

I will be replacing my factory ones with a new set of Bilsteins next year or this winter depending on cash flow.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Bilstein will rebuild them for $75 you can drop them a line to there customer service section. I have had two sets re-done for my bmw's and one were custom valved. That's $75 a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
    Bilstein will rebuild them for $75 you can drop them a line to there customer service section. I have had two sets re-done for my bmw's and one were custom valved. That's $75 a shock.
    That's more than new shocks from them for the 90's trucks. New fronts are $67 each and rears are $57 each.

I'm rocking Bilsteins. I heart em!!!
    2000 Silverado 5.3L Z71 4x4: K&N air filter, Procomp 16x8 rims, 285/70R16 Toyo AT2s, Kenwood head unit, Alpine 500.1 amp, 12" kicker, Infinity 5.25" speakers, Bilstein HD shocks, EBC GD Sport dimple & slotted front rotors w. EBC green stuff pads, Brembo slotted rear rotors & HIDs.

Ive always had good luck with Rancho shocks...no complaints at all

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    275/65R18 Toyo Open Country AT2's
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit(want to get the 2.5 RC kit)
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    ProFlaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Blacked out Tail Lights