GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So installing a kill switch would do nothing. The thieves simply push the vehicle!!!! As far as a steering wheel lock, my Silverado does NOT have that.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    My '01 had a kill switch from the factory. I had to flip the left blinker every time I started my truck. I do believe it saved my truck on the one occassin it was broken into. They stole my stereo and there was evidence that they tried to start my truck. Unfortunately, the kill switch doesn't work anymore - not sure why. @stchman I would get a kill switch installed. I am all for them.
    I have seen them installed so you have to press a combo of radio or dash buttons. @Steve I guess the only way to "prevent" them pushing it away would be to have a Club on the steering wheel. Although when I worked in the garage we saw many vehicles stolen with the club on them. They simply cut the steering wheel with a large pair of bypass bolt cutters or a hacksaw.

So, I guess that my point is, If they want it, a professional thief if going to get it
    Last edited by Pikey; 09-05-2013 at 12:22 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I have seen them installed so you have to press a combo of radio or dash buttons. @Steve I guess the only way to "prevent" them pushing it away would be to have a Club on the steering wheel. Although when I worked in the garage we saw many vehicles stolen with the club on them. They simply cut the steering wheel with a large pair of bypass bolt cutters or a hacksaw.

So, I guess that my point is, If they want it, a professional thief if going to get it
    The only thing you can do is to make your vehicle slightly more difficult to steal that the other guy. I do agree that if a thief is determined and skilled enough, they will steal your car.

This is the reason I carry full coverage insurance, even after the vehicle is paid off.

All valid points above. There is nothing that will stop the hardcore/full-time theif that wants your car. Anti-theft devices keep out the honest and the joy-riders.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I don't know about the newer trucks. But, on my 95 I have a switch that is hidden in the floor board. It is a push pad under the carpet. There is a relay that interrupts the starter signal wire. I get in turn the key forward and press the pad with my foot, then you hear the relay click and the truck will start. Friends of mine still can not find the location of the foot pad, either can my wife. Only one person has found it in nearly 20 years, that guy installed them for a living. I had it located in a spot where is part of my natural movement while getting in/ starting the truck. I think it cost me $80 to install.
    I like this idea^^^^^^^^. I had my truck stolen 10 days after purchase. When I got it back the alarm install company put one in where it wont start if not unlocked by the remote (I know not as good as above), and then I basically disconnected to override, but know where its at in case I need it.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Anyone else want to do this?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

This has been brought up many times (on other forums especially) and I always thought my truck wasn't worth stealing. But that 1st day I drove to school, I was so worried something would happen to it. I really likw the idea of the turn signal and the dash/radio buttons. Is that some special thing that an shop has to install?

Steve,

How do you like the Traverse? I am looking at buying a mid-large SUV in the next 3 years. I like the loks of the Equinox but prefer the size of the Traverse.

I'll answer that in the Traverse forum.

I've thought of putting a kill switch in on my truck. A determined thief would still get it either way, but we don't have many professional thieves around here. I might still get to that at some point.

With that being said, I don't carry collision coverage on my truck, and therefore damage to my own vehicle is not covered in an at-fault collision, BUT I would never be without comprehensive coverage for fire/theft/vandalism/etc. It's a really cheap coverage to have, my premiums don't increase for making a claim on my comprehensive, and it proved itself useful when my wheels were stolen. If somebody wants to steal my truck, that's what insurance is for.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12