GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default DL3 Mirror Conversion 08 Silverado

I have a 08 LT1 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 2wd (NBS). I am in the process of having fully functional DL3 mirrors. I purchased the DL3 mirrors from Ebay and installed them. I have functionality of the power mirror and LED turn signal on both mirrors. The only thing left that I really need is the power folding feature.

The DL3 mirrors have two wire cable connectors, 1 black connector and 1 white connector. I was only able to connect the black wire connector to my current switch/module on the driver and passenger side. There was no other spot/connection/adapter available to connect the white wire cable connector from the DL3 mirror on either side. So again currently I only have the power mirror and LED turn signal working with that white wire connector going nowhere (not connected).

So then I purchased the DDS (Driver Door Switch) and the PDS (Passenger Door Switch) for the Silverado, needed to have use of the power folding feature (the driver switch with the button to fold the mirrors) and to be able to connect that white wire cable for both sides (I’m assuming I needed the PDS as well).

Now I am able to connect both the black and white connectors from the DL3 mirrors to driver and passenger switch. But now the connections/cables that are there (the ones for power windows/ power door lock-unlocked/ side mirror adjustment/etc…) will not fit/connect to the new switches on either side.

My question is now are there wire harness adapters that I need to connect the rest of the cables (power windows/ power door lock-unlocked/ side mirror adjustment/etc …) to the new switches?? Or what do I need to do now (or what do I need to buy) in order to make this conversion (DL8 mirrors to DL3 mirrors) possible??

If anyone has done this please advise. If any pictures are needed from the old /new switches or cable wire connectors please let me know and I will try and post.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chevy Silverado DL3 Switch Numbers
    Silverado Driver Side: 15906881
    Silverado Passenger Side: 15906880

Hey man, Im in the same boat. I havent installed my mirrors yet but im currently in the process of doing so. So am i right to assume that the door panels must come off to get to the mirror connector(s)? How much did you pay for both of the switches? Let me know if you find out anything and i'll do the same.

Yes the door panels need to come off in order to swap out the mirrors. For both switches I paid $80.09 each plus shipping. I ordered other things so you might end up paying with shipping like $95 per switch.
    chevy Parts
    I have as of yet to find out any new info for this conversion of DL8 to DL3 mirrors on the silverado.

Please let me know if you find out anything.

Thanks.

Well i got mine installed the other day, and i see what you mean about the "extra white" connector. I've been doing some research and apparently alot of people have been doing the DL8 to the DL3 swap.

The problem i've been reading about is having the body control module reflashed so that the switches will work. From what i've read thats all you need to do, now that you got the switches you need. Alot of people have been saying is that the dealership wont reflash them if they don't already have them installed. Some dealerships are doing and some wont because of what gm says.

The best bet is to go to the dealer and say that the dealer you bought your truck from put them on as an option but the mirrors don't fold anymore. Or just play dumb with them. In my case I have a regular cab Z71 with all the bells and whistles so its gonna be impossible for me to get a switch that has the powerfold switch with only 2 window switches...lol

Anyways, I hope this helped if you didn't already read any of this elsewhere. Good Luck

Awesome, thanks for the write-up. There are others on here that are searching for the same thing. I'm going to plug www.gmpartsclub.com as they do have these in stock and are very competitive in pricing while giving great service.
    Chevy Parts

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

GM renamed some of the part numbers for this.

Document ID# 2008538

Subject: Swapping Outside Rearview Mirrors RPOs DL8 / DL3 / DPN - keywords rear power folding camper change door body out side #PIT4417B - (08/31/2007)

Models: 2007-2008 Chevrolet Silverado

2007-2008 GMC Sierra

This PI was superseded to update Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIT4417A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
    Some owners may request to have a different style mirror installed on their vehicle or request a different mirror before they purchase the vehicle. The new electrical architecture for the Silverado and Sierra has made swapping of the mirrors a more involved procedure than with previous models.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    When swapping mirrors on a vehicle, the first thing that needs to be known is if the vehicle is equipped with door modules or not. The easiest way to determine if the vehicle has door modules is to use the Tech 2 and try to communicate with the "Drivers Door Switch" and "Passenger Door Switch". If the Tech 2 can communicate with these modules then the vehicle is equipped with door modules. If the Tech 2 cannot communicate with the door switches then the vehicle does not have door modules and the wiring between the driver and passenger mirrors is hard wired. The information below will be divided into two different areas: 1. Swapping mirrors on a vehicle equipped with Door Modules, and 2. Swapping mirrors on a vehicle NOT equipped with Door Modules.

Swapping mirrors on a vehicle equipped with Door Modules
    The information in this section covers three different mirrors to swap on vehicles equipped with door modules: Base Power (DL8), Power Folding (DL3) and Camper (DPN). Before any parts are installed new door module calibrations must be obtained from Techline Customer Support at 1-800-828-6860. Advise the Techline Consultant that the vehicle is getting different mirrors, provide the RPO of the mirrors being installed, and request a new calibration for both door modules. Also, if switching from DL3 to DPN/DL8 or vise versa new drivers door switch trim bezel will need to be obtained. Once you have the calibrations and correct bezel, then the mirror swap can be done. If the calibration or switch bezel is not available the mirror swap is not possible. Replace the drivers door switch with correct part number for the mirrors being installed from the chart below, programmed both door switches with the new calibrations from Techline and install the new mirrors.

Mirrors Driver Door Switch

DL3 15906881 4-power windows

DPN or DL8 15906880 4-power windows

One additional note to remember when swapping from DL3 to DPN or DL8. If the vehicle is equipped with memory RPO AN3, only the DL3 mirrors have memory recall. So, if the DL3 mirrors are replaced with DPN or DL8 mirrors the curb view assist and memory mirror features will be lost.

Swapping mirrors on a vehicle NOT equipped with Door Modules
    This information only covers two different mirrors to swap on vehicles NOT equipped with door modules: Base Power Mirror (DL8) and Camper (DPN).

These two mirrors can be swapped without any additional hardware changes. The only thing to be aware of is that some vehicles equipped with DL8 mirrors may not have the turn signal wiring, due to the DL8 mirror is not equipped with a turn signal indicator. If the DPN mirrors are installed the turn signal indicator may be inoperative unless the turn signal wiring is installed. Please do not contact Partech for a wiring harness, the wires will have to be added.

Note: The Power Folding Mirrors (DL3) are not available and can not be installed on a vehicle not equipped with Door Modules.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
    WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Thanks for the insightful write up! Am hoping to up grade my 2009 GMC SL Crew cab with the power adjust/heated, to the auto dimming/turn signal/power fold ones. Was told it was almost impossible to do. Difficult, but not impossible after all! Guess the first thing I should do is talk to the dealer to see where I start. Thanks again & will be writing again as I'm a little thick so takes me a while to absorb.

i think i have the DL8 mirrors and I am looking to go to the DLN.... dosnt look like it will be to bad.

thanks for the posts guys! should help me out in the future.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Were you able to find out about the wiring harness? I've a crew cab and want to do the same conversion. Right now I have heated/power adjust. Do you know anything about the "approaching vehicle" option? Figure there must be a lot of other parts involved than just the mirrors.