GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry 08 GMC 5.3 victim

Hello fellow dis-gruntled GM owners! I live in Alaska and I have strictly owned 7 Gm trucks since 1982.My 08 1500 sierra required the lifters to be changed @ only 47000 miles (2 months after warranty on engine expired).Out of pocket cost to me was $3200! After 800 miles of driving, a loud knock and low oil pressure couple with check engine light reared its ugly head. Short story,after lots of run around by GM....I will be replacing engine with a used one at my expense AGAIN! No relief from GM! My remedy? Fix it,sell it.Seems like GM could have done more for a life-long customer like me?? Also, I purchased a 2013 Ford XLT, which is significant given the fact that GM is now Ford`s biggest future asset! Bottom line....GM has a serious problem with 5.3 liter engine and should stand behind their life long customers! Good luck to the rest of you, I like my new FORD!!!

Who charged you $3200 just to change lifters? You got robbed. You could have probably had a new crate engine put in that truck for less than $3200.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

How many miles on it? Your the only owner? Did you write a letter to a Service Manager at GM? We have one on here that you should write too

I see you had 47K Well the 08's have a 100K warr on the motors.. So somethings Not write......
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Ya something isnt right with this story

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    Factory Black Running Boards
    BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's(265/65R18)
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    Bowtie Mud Flaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    DeeZee Toolbox(Debadged)
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Bigger Tires
    Aftermarket Rims

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post

I see you had 47K Well the 08's have a 100K warr on the motors.. .
    Yeah, but only good for 5 years, that's what got him.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Legend

Blog Entries

****Thread Moved Here****

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Danny R P,

I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I cannot guarantee anything but I would like to look into this concern for you. Private private message me with a brief overview of your concern, your contact information, VIN, exact mileage, and preferred dealership.

Sincerely,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care

Default Just past 5 years on engine,so GM said...Sux to be you!

Quote Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
    Danny R P,

I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I cannot guarantee anything but I would like to look into this concern for you. Private private message me with a brief overview of your concern, your contact information, VIN, exact mileage, and preferred dealership.

Sincerely,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care
    I know $3200 was a lot to pay for lifters,but in case you didn`t know- set of lifters,have to pull head to change both sides,all necessary gaskets are expensive. Parts and labor in Kodiak Alaska $3200.Crate motor $4100 WITHOUT shipping charge.Then at least $1500 labor ....Do the math, I did.I was lead to believe initially cost would be about $2000.Had I known,I would have probably swapped engine first time. Anyhow, 3weeks after repair the oil pump failed causing crank,and main bearing failure.Ended up buying an engine out of wrecked Trailblazer to swap.$2400 purchase, $560 shipping from Anchorage. Additional $1500 labor. All this took about 5 weeks and in the meantime I needed a pickup for work. I`m a fisherman so not always in town,but when I am here I need reliable transportation and service. I wasted significant time with GM Customer Care-Less, so I made the decision to buy a Ford. The only way GM could ever re-gain my trust would be in the form of compensation of at least one of these repairs, buy my Ford at no loss to me and then make me a smoking deal on a new truck with a really great warranty. The 08 Sierra is for sale now that it`s running again.Call for info!

holly hell, they hand it to ya on lifters huh.... i could do them in a few hours and costs like $600 tops.... crazy
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Waste of time talking to GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny R P View Post
    I know $3200 was a lot to pay for lifters,but in case you didn`t know- set of lifters,have to pull head to change both sides,all necessary gaskets are expensive. Parts and labor in Kodiak Alaska $3200.Crate motor $4100 WITHOUT shipping charge.Then at least $1500 labor ....Do the math, I did.I was lead to believe initially cost would be about $2000.Had I known,I would have probably swapped engine first time. Anyhow, 3weeks after repair the oil pump failed causing crank,and main bearing failure.Ended up buying an engine out of wrecked Trailblazer to swap.$2400 purchase, $560 shipping from Anchorage. Additional $1500 labor. All this took about 5 weeks and in the meantime I needed a pickup for work. I`m a fisherman so not always in town,but when I am here I need reliable transportation and service. I wasted significant time with GM Customer Care-Less, so I made the decision to buy a Ford. The only way GM could ever re-gain my trust would be in the form of compensation of at least one of these repairs, buy my Ford at no loss to me and then make me a smoking deal on a new truck with a really great warranty. The 08 Sierra is for sale now that it`s running again.Call for info!
    After posting on this site, I was contacted by a GM rep. She requested VIN, mileage, and other info that I had already provided to customer-careless. I`m seeing a pattern here. After wasting my time at no expense to GM, I`m curtly told "I see your case was already closed". NO KIDDING?! Like we didn`t already know that! Why did you waste my time AGAIN? So beware when buying a GM product. This lifter issue should be a re-call item, and oil pump failure is a close second. I live in a small town, and I have heard of at least 3 other vehicles with these issues-with less mileage than mine. Seems fairly common to me. Just google "problems with 5.3 liter GM. Good luck from the New FORD Customer!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast