GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Center console Latch replacement

Hello folks,

During a recent trip to Seattle, WA the latch on the center console of my truck snapped off. I went to my local dealer to inquire about ordering the replacement part, but the employee told me that I'd have to order the whole upper lid component just to get the latch. The upper lid costs around $185. The employee and multiple sales people (that I chatted with on the way back to my truck) had suggested just contacting a wreaking yard about acquiring the needed piece. My issue with that is the parts employee told me that this issue, sadly, is a common problem for these trucks. If that is the case, why won't GM just authorize the sale of the one needed piece?

Back to my question: does anybody have alternative suggestions about how to acquire JUST the latch? If I have to resort to a wreaking yard, I'm just going to replace the whole center jump seat assembly for a center console set up. I'd rather just spend a few bucks for a latch though! Thanks again for your time!

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

I'm in the same boat as you and the bad news is, there just doesn't seem to be any parts for center consoles. It's basically the whole thing or nothing. I cracked the original lid of my center concosle and I looked for over a year for just the lid. I eventually found the tub - not the entire center console structure but just the tub insert with the lid and that was the best I could do. Shorty after that, the latch in the lid fell out and now it stays open and flops around while I drive. I need just the latch as well but there doesn't seem to be any.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Hmmm, well hopefully we can dig up some more info on this site from a friendly GM buddy! I've also contacted GMC about this issue as well, I'm HOPING they'll have some better suggestions for me than to either hit up a wreaking yard or bite the bullet on a $185 upper lid assembly!

Been lookin into replacing the whole seat with a center console anyways, if I HAVE to hit up a junk yard I'm just gonna look to replace the whole darn unit!

I got my tub off ebay. Have you looked there?