GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 95 K1500 4l60E with no first gear

I just purchased 95 K1500 and, along with someone doing away with the emissions on the engine, I noticed when taking off the transmission starts in 2nd gear. ODB1 and No codes. I tested the A solenoid while driving (someone else was driving while I put a ground on the light green wire) and the transmission will shift into 1st gear. I'm thinking the computer being bad. Before I purchase another, does anyone have other suggestions?

Jr. Mechanic

Sounds like trans. pricing time. Although I did have a '94 full size bronco do this same thing. Solenoid pack and a ecm fixed that one.

it appears the transmission is working fine, just not getting the signal it needs to activate 1-2 solenoid.

Trace that wire to the ECM and see if the ECM is putting out signal
    Chuckie!!!

With the engine running and transmission selector in over-drive, sitting in the driveway brakes applied, there is a 2.3vdc ground signal on E9 at the PCM. If I apply a good ground to that terminal the trans engages 1st gear. I'm just not sure if there is something else wrong that would prevent the PCM from providing a good ground signal to the solenoid.

- - - Updated - - -

It turns out the 1-2 solenoid was bad causing the trans to not have 1st gear. I put another solenoid in and everything works great. I was mistaken by thinking 4th gear was working, guess it was the converter lock-up making the change in rpms. Thanks for the advise.