GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Vehicle Storage for Restoration

Fellow members,

I have a car I am wanting to restore. However, it will be a while (maybe a year or longer) before I will begin working on it. I was wondering if any of you have some suggestions for storing the vehicle. An example for what type of info I am looking for is, for instance, putting the car on jack stands and removing the tires and wheels to prevent flat-spotting. Thanks!

Over the last 30 years Ive had to store more than a few vehicles while deploying or PCS'ing with the Navy.
    Some tips and tricks Ive picked up over the years are as follows:
    Put fuel stabilizer in the remaining fuel then shake or drive the vehicle to mix it real well. Then empty the fuel tank and fuel system, run the engine until it dies of fuel starvation.
    Put the vehicle on jackstands under the frame so the suspension droops, remove the wheels.
    Store each wheel in a plastic bag or sealed plastic sheets. Put tire dressing on all of the tire before sealing, dont forget the spare tire.
    Do a good lube on all zert fittings.
    Wipe a light coat of oil over any bare metal areas such as shock shafts and the like.
    Give any paint and chrome a good waxing.
    Use dressing on any rubber parts like window seals and window gaskets.
    Cover interior parts with a good coat of preservative like armor all or something then cover dash, seats, and carpet wti plastic sheets.
    Do an engine oil and coolant change, run the heater system. After the fluid change pull the plugs and fog the cylinders with oil.
    cover the intake with steel wool and plastic, mice/rats cant or wont eat through steelwool. Cover the carb with plastic.
    use dressing on all plastic and rubber under the hood, hoses belts, plastic tanks, etc.
    Ive stored cars for as long as 10 yrs with this method and after a few hours of cleaning been able to fire them up and driveaway.

3. Likes mfleetwood liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Over the last 30 years Ive had to store more than a few vehicles while deploying or PCS'ing with the Navy.
    Ive stored cars for as long as 10 yrs with this method and after a few hours of cleaning been able to fire them up and driveaway.
    One question. What about deterring rodents from getting into the car? I've heard to place mothballs around the perimeter of the vehicle... Thanks for your response, it was very helpful.

Ive heard of using mothballs but never tried it.
    I do know rodents wont or cant chew through steelwool, so I normally pack it in any openings I can find.
    Rodents can squeeze through the smallest holes.
    Mothballs are cheap enough it wouldnt hurt to lay them around, especially around wiring under the hood, thats normally where you get the most rodent damage.
    Other methods Ive heard of are peppermint oil around the vehicle, or the method I presently use on my stored vehicle, I have a small herd of yard cats, with the yard cats I havnt had rodent problems for over 4 years. And the cats normally show me how good a job their doing by laying their kills on my back porch before eating it.
    I normally find a mouse or snake on the back porch about twice a week, if I leave it there itll be gone within 2 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I automatically assumed the vehicle would be stored indoors, thats not always the case.
    I dont recommend car covers because they tend to hold in moisture and if a corner gets loose they can cause damage to the paint, which could lead to a new corrision issue. Better to be able to see the exterior and treat/prime any issues while it still a surface issue.
    If you have a good paint job best bet is good wax and at least a lean to where nothings touching the surface, a good coat of dust will actually protect the paint somewhat.
    On interior windows if stored outside I like to put up inside window shades to keep most of the sun out. Pieces of cardboard in the windows does the samething.

6. Likes mfleetwood liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Ive heard of using mothballs but never tried it.
    I do know rodents wont or cant chew through steelwool, so I normally pack it in any openings I can find.
    Rodents can squeeze through the smallest holes.
    Mothballs are cheap enough it wouldnt hurt to lay them around, especially around wiring under the hood, thats normally where you get the most rodent damage.
    Other methods Ive heard of are peppermint oil around the vehicle, or the method I presently use on my stored vehicle, I have a small herd of yard cats, with the yard cats I havnt had rodent problems for over 4 years. And the cats normally show me how good a job their doing by laying their kills on my back porch before eating it.
    I normally find a mouse or snake on the back porch about twice a week, if I leave it there itll be gone within 2 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I automatically assumed the vehicle would be stored indoors, thats not always the case.
    I dont recommend car covers because they tend to hold in moisture and if a corner gets loose they can cause damage to the paint, which could lead to a new corrision issue. Better to be able to see the exterior and treat/prime any issues while it still a surface issue.
    If you have a good paint job best bet is good wax and at least a lean to where nothings touching the surface, a good coat of dust will actually protect the paint somewhat.
    On interior windows if stored outside I like to put up inside window shades to keep most of the sun out. Pieces of cardboard in the windows does the samething.
    Thanks, you've been a great help! BTW, car will be stored inside a building and will be completely redone. Ever heard of an electronic device called the "Mouse Blocker?" I've heard other people bring it up. Just wondering if it is effective, especially since it costs $60.

I have heard of an electronic mouse blocker, didnt mention it for two reasons.
    One I didnt know if it would be stored inside near power and two a friend of mine used one with disasterous results, mouse chewed through the power cord and burned down the building his car was stored in.
    But prior to that incident the car was stored two years in that building with no rodent issues in an area where rodents were aknown problem.

I was on a camaro forum and a few of the guys used bounce dryer sheets. I used them last year and didnt have a problem. Car was stored outdoors too
    -K&N Air Filter