GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Best Off-Road Tire?

hi, I am in the market for new tires! I drive to school and back(10 miles) everyday and off road and go to river on weekends. I am looking for a good off road tire in the size 36x13.50x20 or 37x12.50x20! any help is greatly appreciated!

Are looking for an "all terrain" or something more aggressive like a mud tire? What tires do have now?
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

IMHO, it's the driver not the tires.

But a few I've seen are
    not sure about durability or wear, just have a couple thousand ready every so often

toyo open country m/t
    mickey Thompson m/t
    Nitto mud grapplers

I always run all terrains on my truck and I've never been stuck with
    toyo open country a/t
    Mastercraft courser a/t

but these tires aren't that big

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Get the Terra Grapplers if want a set of aggressive tires that are pavement friendly as well.

Tire threads are great because you will get 400 different suggestions for 400 different tires. That being said I have Cooper Discoverer STT. They are a hybrid AT/MT tire. I am looking at getting over 40k miles on them. Have taken them in the mud, and snow and they performed great. In water and in dry the grip has been great as well. I have a running (although slow updates as its not a daily driver anymore) review thread on them. http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...duratrac/page2 the review doesn't start until page 2 as I started the thread looking to narrow down tire selections as well. American made by an American company too.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

I run Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. They are loud as heck on the highway and on long road trips I would have to stop and let them cool down, because the rubber would become super soft. But, They perform spectacular in the mud, sand, and snow. I never have had an issue with traction with them. Actually, I have to be careful because they hook up so good sometimes that I fear that I may twist a drive shaft or axle shaft. I hardly ever have to drop it in 4x4 unless the mud is super deep and sticky or I am pulling someone out. I also ran Dick Cepek Radial fun countrys. They rode nice on the road, did awesome in sand, and decent in mud. When I say "in mud" I mean mud up to nearly the top of my 38.5's.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I run Toyo AT2s. They the ****.

For mudding, Toyo M/Ts FTMFW!!!!!
    2000 Silverado 5.3L Z71 4x4: K&N air filter, Procomp 16x8 rims, 285/70R16 Toyo AT2s, Kenwood head unit, Alpine 500.1 amp, 12" kicker, Infinity 5.25" speakers, Bilstein HD shocks, EBC GD Sport dimple & slotted front rotors w. EBC green stuff pads, Brembo slotted rear rotors & HIDs.

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    Tire threads are great because you will get 400 different suggestions for 400 different tires.
    Tire and oil change threads are the best! lol

I run 37x14.00x20 falken wild peak and yes I wont mud tires like I drive down flooded pipelines alot

Stay away from mastercraft unless you get the a/t's. The rest will get you stuck the snot some old man just spit from the sidewalk... I'm a forever fan of bf-g and nitto. The Falken wildpeak a are great for the first 25% of their life. After that the shoulders bald.
    Chuckie!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by