GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Exhaust swap looking for idears

So the other day I noticed that at certain RPMS and certain speeds I can hear my exhaust pipes rattling around. They sound like the welds aare breaking and at slow speeds, it gets annoying. So, later on (maybe not too far off) I will be changing my pipes and muffler. Wanting to go with something smooth sounding but aggressive like a flowmaster 44 or hell maybe even a 50 series dumped before or after the axle.

Fairly straight forward right? Well looking on opinions on exhaust pipe sizes and configurations.

First choice is 2 into 1 3" pipe to a single in dual out muffler.
    Second choice is 2 - 2 1/2"pipes to dual in dual out muffler.
    Third is 2 into 2 with a X pipe into dual in single out.

Right now I'm running dual 2 1/4" (yes smaller than stock) pipes to dual mufflers exiting behind the tires. Well the tips are getting chipped and beginning to rust. Might have access to a welder and I know I have access to clamps. And a vehicle lift.

So any opinions on which is the most efficient set up? Looking to hear other ideas as well.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Does your truck currently have the dual or single catalytic converter setup? I don't recall what the 99 trucks have exactly.

Dual very crudely gutted by previous owners.

I'd say get new cats, and go with 2.75" piping. Your engine isn't big enough or making enough power to really need more than that after the collectors. It doesn't really matter if you have dual out or not, but if you're going to run dual all the way back, you should go with an X-pipe to balance the pulses, right after the cats.

On my truck, I'm probably going to end up going with 2.5" from the cats, combined into a 3" single pipe back to the muffler, then dual 2.5" out after that.

if your looking just for sound flowmaster is the way to go if you want a good sounding muffler that ads performance get something like a magnaflow, corsa, or borla. the flowmaster is a chambered muffler. yes they sound good but the chambers cause restrictions where the others i mentioned are a stright threw design
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!