GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Question original 40 flowmaster quiet at 1500 rpm.. looking for louder

Hey all,new to the forum. Just bought a 04 Silverado z71. Want to make it pretty loud, but a deep loud, dont really like the cackle. I got an original 40 flowmaster muffler put on, si/do. Sounds good at start up and taking off, but cruising around 35-40 mph, 1500rpm, seems pretty quiet. Take it easy on me, 26 yo female, ha. Been working at oil changes for 6 years here n there so ive been trying to do all my car work unless its completely beyond my current skill, such as welding. This being my first truck, im learning alot. Dont want to sound stupid but was I just dumb thinking putting an original 40 flowmaster muffler would make my truck really loud and deep sounding. I mean a guy at my work has a 4.8 with straight pipes and his sounds louder. The guy who put my muffler on said straight pipes would give me more of a cackle and also that the ten series i could probably get pulled over for. ahh just frustrated id have a louder exhaust all around with this muffler. what do you all suggest i can get done in order to get super loud but deep exhaust without the popping sound, the head turning exhaust ha. just looking for suggestions

regular 40 is quieter then a super 40. my last truck had a super and it was loud around 1500. my current truck has a regular 40 its defiantly quieter.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Yea the regular 40 will be quieter, especially in the mid rpm range.
    Give it a few months before you change anything, FlowMasters have a habit of doing whats called "Burn in" after a few months of wear you should notice the tone get a little louder in all rpm ranges.

i coulda swore after lookin up all about the loudest flowmaster and one that seemed right for my liking the original 40 sounded right and louder than the super 40 :( i hear ya with letting the exhaust break in im def gonna do that, but just sucks already kinda disappointed and thinking different options in the future, just not the most educated on this topic. at least i can hear my truck when i start it now :p

Welcome to the club. Don't feel dumb for asking questions. We've all had em and its the only way to learn. It's great you try to do your own stuff. Don't have much to add to what's already been said, but a good thing if you consider straight pipes is to have an X or H pipe in there which helps equalize the pressure.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Between X and H pipe, X is louder and more raspy, and H has a smooth deeper tone.

if you want it to sound super mean, get a super 44 and some long tube headers i was running that on my ruck before i did the turbo. it sounded mean! i always got asked what was done to it. ill try and dig up a sound clip later on if i can find one
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@snapskates2112 I have an '01 Silverado 4.8L with a Flowmaster Super 50 that I put on about a year ago. Like you, I was looking for louder sound. It was so quiet with the stock muffler and air intake, I had several people ask if my truck was even on - while we were driving down the highway! The Super 50 and a cold air intake gave both the engine and the exhaust some sound but it is still not super loud.

I really think it has to do with the size of the engine. 4.8L isn't all that big/loud. While I was installing the muffler, I turned on the truck without any exhaust system on it; basically, just straight out of the headers. Even then, it wasn't all that loud. I'm not sure which of the Flowmaster series is the loudest but if you want it loud, it may take more than just a muffler.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Thanks so much for the help guys really appreciate all the info for sure sure my neighbors will too haha just to verify i have the 5.3 not saying its that much more overpowering than the 4.8 just dont like my buddy from work sounds louder when i got the bigger engine ha

his may be louder but urs is faster ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by