GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Where do you put it?! (programmer storage)

Hey guys i have a quick question for ya...where do you guys store your programmer/tuner when not in use?...Do you store it in the case uder your rear seat?In center console?In the house?...reason im asking is because I disabled AFM and now i have to find a spot to store it.Im thinking about under my rear seat in case the truck ever breaks down on the road and need it towed to dealership for work and not have it in there to turn it back to stock.Lets hear what ya got to say!
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 09-11-2013 at 06:40 PM.

2. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

I keep mine under one of the back captains chairs. But, I caution doing this if the programmer you have has a battery inside for the memory. Mine has a flash memory so it is fine. But, I have a friend with a Bully Dog programmer, the battery died when he left it in his truck all winter and he lost his stock program for his duramax.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I keep mine in a hard case in the garage
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    I keep mine in a hard case in the garage
    I would do the same, but, I guess I understand why the op would want it handy. I just think the risk of having it disappear from the truck it too great.

BTW, I do not know if this is true.......but, I have heard that GM can now tell if the files have been changed. I suspect much like any file, they are now keeping track of file updates (date and time).
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I've gone to the dealer with it installed and the Superchips sticker on the rear window.. Never a problem If something does happen THEY have to prove that the Programer did it...

mines under the hood ;) but the best place is to store it in your truck. just inccase you need to change something and ur not at home.
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will the heat and cold make it have issues?

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    275/65R18 Toyo Open Country AT2's
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit(want to get the 2.5 RC kit)
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    ProFlaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Blacked out Tail Lights
    Aftermarket Rims

i keep my intune in the house. cant wander off that way.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

I put it in the hole...
    Chuckie!!!