GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2009 Sierra 5.3 SLE 6 speed 4 wheel drive - Looking for exhaust recommendations

Cool site, dig what I've seen so far. I'm looking at changing out my stock exhaust and adding an intake at the same time....I'm sure there's 50K posts on this topic, however, here I am.......any recommendations so that I don't do what seems to happen too often and that's trial and error....this is my first truck and exhaust/intake go around.....so, be gentle......thanks for any and all input.

Welcome to the site! You'll find al the information you need. As suggestion I would look aroung on the site and psot your inquiry at the proper forum. This way you will get more responses...and don't worry you will be treated as a gentleman. Good Luck!

Welcome to GMTC!

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    275/65R18 Toyo Open Country AT2's
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit(want to get the 2.5 RC kit)
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    ProFlaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    DeeZee Toolbox(going to get Line-X'd)
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Blacked out Tail Lights
    Aftermarket Rims

Welcome, as stated post a new thread on the intake and exhaust in that section and more replies will come for it. As to your question kinda depends on what you are looking for. I have magnaflow system. 2 3" pipes to a 2 in 1 out muffler and a 4" on the exit. Banks is expensive but have full systems (header, exhaust programmer etc), and are a quality company.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!!

I moved your thread to the correct section of the Forum and edited your title slightly to more match your topic, as this will get you more opinions/responses. Since your thread is now moved, please do NOT start a new thread with regarding this same topic. Thanks!!!

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Unless you're installing a supercharger or turbocharger, don't waste your money on a $300 cold air intake. It's mostly a waste of money. Spend half as much and get the Airaid Jr., or spend less and just get the Airiad MIT for your truck. The stock intake tube is big and complicated, while the Airaid tube is pretty straightforward and smooth, to improve the air flow. Changing of the intake tube between the air box and the throttle body is the biggest improvement you're going to see from any cold air intake setup, as you won't be moving enough air on a stock engine to see any other benefit. You can get a washable filter that fits in the stock location, but the main benefit there is simply being able to wash the filter instead of replacing it.

As for exhaust, you probably also won't see any real gains there either, but will mostly only get a louder exhaust note, especially if you're only doing cat-back. Banks makes a nice system with their Monster exhaust though. And their short tube Torquer headers work pretty well, too. If you want to save money and just get the louder note, you can just install a different muffler, and/or cut out the factory resonator just before the tip, and replace it with a piece of straight exhaust pipe, and a shiny exhaust tip.

airaid modular intake tube, or a airaid jr. kit. flowmaster regular 40, chop the stock muffler out and get it welded in. cna get all that done for 250 or so.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers