GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chevy 4X4 ... for real or not?

A guy at work who likes to brag says my Chevy HD is not really true four wheel drive and his toyota is. He says if one wheel gets stuck I will not be able to get out, while his Toyota will never get stuck?? Or if I lifted 1 wheel off the ground the others would not do anything.

2011 2500 HD towing package with locking differential 4:10 axle
    2011 Silverado 2500HD 4X4

2013 CB1100

2. Likes Steve liked this post

Is his Toyota equipped with the electronic locking rear diff? Can I assume your truck has a typical two speed, locking transfer case (2H, 4H, 4L)?

With those two assumptions made, especially in low range where speeds are low, you effectively have 3 wheel drive (assuming the G80 works as advertised) -- one front and both rear wheels. If he has a locking rear, too, then he effectively has 3 wheel drive as well - one front and both rear.

In terms of who will get stuck under what conditions, I expect the two are near equals. Your 2500 is likely heavier than his Toyota -- sometimes that will be an advantage, sometimes a disadvantage. The difference between the two trucks will probably be more about who's driving and how well he picks his line that what badge is on the truck's grill.
    Last edited by Steve; 09-11-2013 at 09:08 AM.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

4. Thanks Steve thanked for this post

You have a locker so you'll never get stuck so he is very wrong, I think he's under the impression you have AWD not 4WD, but still gm AWD is designed to lock up when needed. Just use your smart phone (if you have one) go on YouTube and search Eaton locking diff and show him the videos.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

First off what model Toyota does he have?
    If its a truck the best he has is equal to yours on drive wheels unless he installed a front locker.
    Which I doubt since IFS eats cv's and pinion/gears when combined with a locker.
    Some earlier model land cruisers had locking center, front, and rear diffs which would crawl out of a lot of stuff, but not everything.
    obviously hes not very experienced if he thinks lockers will make his truck unstickeable.
    As an off roader it sounds like he has lots to learn.

7. Likes Steve, rileyjr16 liked this post

Sounds like he's a 16 year old in daddy's truck.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

9. Likes Steve liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by johnnymac View Post
    A guy at work who likes to brag says my Chevy HD is not really true four wheel drive and his toyota is. He says if one wheel gets stuck I will not be able to get out, while his Toyota will never get stuck?? Or if I lifted 1 wheel off the ground the others would not do anything.

2011 2500 HD towing package with locking differential 4:10 axle
    Send him my way! I will get him stuck!

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Blog Entries

awesome come Back Pikey...............make sure you post the Video if he shows up LOL.

Brian from Canada.....huh.just a 2WD owner ....oh well !!
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

GM's Eaton vs other diffs

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

13. Likes Steve liked this post

But of course in the video he doesnt discuss the fsct that with an open or LSD you can kick in some park brake snd get the power to transfer to the other wheel.
    But then he was only selling the eaton, not showing how to overcome a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post

GM's Eaton vs other diffs
    Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    But of course in the video he doesnt discuss the fsct that with an open or LSD you can kick in some park brake snd get the power to transfer to the other wheel.
    But then he was only selling the eaton, not showing how to overcome a problem.
    Yeah, there are ways to get around some of the issues that these products were designed to fix, but in general hard to discount how effective of a presentation this was for what most drivers are going to do ... they're gonna floor it when they feel themselves slipping.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast