GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Welcome to the site! As for your first mod, I think everybody else pretty much summed it up with it's up to the owner. With that in mind, figured I'd share MY first mods, and while. Keep in mind it'll be slightly different since I have a pick up!
    For me, HAD to get side steps installed first because I have vertically challenged folks in my family. Now this is when I had stock ride height for my vehicle, but it was enough to still need the steps for my challenged family! I did get a tonneau cover and bed liner done since I did a lot of drivin for the Navy, but those points are kinda moot with the suburban! I enjoy more of a growl from my vehicles, so I did install a Magnaflow exhaust and Volant CAI (With Ram scoop). If I had the money, I'd upgrade to Gibson or Borla system.
    That pretty much ended my "need-it-now" upgrades! Definitely added more over the years though! Good luck with the mods and don't hesitate to ask yer questions! We're here ta help!

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    While those baffles in the "horrible vortec intake" do keep the noise down slightly, it is because they are put there to keep the air flow laminar. Laminar flow is smooth with no turbulence. No turbulence = less noise. It also insures that air is entering the Throttle body at the designed flow rate. Air can flow thru a pipe in 2 ways. Laminar or turbulant. Laminar is a smooth flow over the surface, the center travels faster than the edges. Turbulence, causes the air stream to become agitated, the agitation reduces the flow. I have never seen any data supporting that a CIA increases horsepower. I have actually seen data and test were it is proven that they do nothing but add sound. My school has a dyno, we installed a well know brand name cia on a truck and put it on the dyno. There was no change in hp from the test that we performed before the install.
    That is like those fin spacer things that are installed after your MAF sensor and vortex throttle body spacers. (both are supposed to cause air to swirl into the throttle body or intake.) If GM had noticed any improvement in MPG or HP they would install them in the factory. They would buy millions, so it would cost them a penny a piece and then they would be able to boast higher mpg and hp.
    The tests you ran on your dyno do not surprise me at all actually. I have seen tests that both support and debunk them. For every test that says they are crap, you'll find a test that says they're great. I guess it depends on user preference at the end of the day... Your post intrigued me with your talk about the difference between laminar and turbulant air flow. I'm going to have to do some research and educate myself a bit. I'm not being a smartass here just a serious question, how do the baffles in the vortec intake tubing keep the air flow smooth (laminar) as you mentioned? Greg

air turning corners in a tube can become turbulent. Basically turning the corner, hitting another surface, and bouncing around. The baffles can create a smooth flow by making sure that the air takes the corner at the right entry angle so when it comes around the corner it hits the next wall at the proper angle and remains smooth. As far as the dyno tests, the only positive ones I have seen are from the guys trying to sell them. Every independent test I have seen comes back with no change.

This video does not explain much, but it looks cool!!

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Holy crap on a cracker, that was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF-Suburban View Post
    Holy crap on a cracker, that was cool.
    lol, I know you were like, "wow, pikey! they put some colors in a thing and mixed them up". Then they started turning it the other direction and you are like, wait! No way!"

I found that video last year when I took a fluid dynamics and a thermal properties class. Fluid and gas flow the same, so it is valid for both.

- - - Updated - - -

I was trying to find a diagram or drawing of what I was trying to describe. This is and one other site is all that I could find. If you can actually see the diagram, you can see the dead spots, represented by circular outlines, next to baffles that are not the correct height. Basically, the one on the top right is the best flow. I actually found one with a flow chart next to the diagram, but I don't want to post the link to the site and I can not get the pic to load.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-s2.0-S0021929004001186-gr4.gif 
Views:	20 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	55690

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    lol, I know you were like, "wow, pikey! they put some colors in a thing and mixed them up". Then they started turning it the other direction and you are like, wait! No way!"

I found that video last year when I took a fluid dynamics and a thermal properties class. Fluid and gas flow the same, so it is valid for both.

- - - Updated - - -

I was trying to find a diagram or drawing of what I was trying to describe. This is and one other site is all that I could find. If you can actually see the diagram, you can see the dead spots, represented by circular outlines, next to baffles that are not the correct height. Basically, the one on the top right is the best flow. I actually found one with a flow chart next to the diagram, but I don't want to post the link to the site and I can not get the pic to load.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-s2.0-S0021929004001186-gr4.gif 
Views:	20 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	55690
    That's almost exactly what it sounded like actually... As far as the chart goes, that's a pretty interesting concept really... Like I said, I'm going to have to do a little more research to educate myself a bit. Greg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12