GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best oil and oil filters, real world.

OK, I would like to know if there is any real world testing on what is the best oil and filter out there.

I have read many forum posts on what someone "feels" is the best oil. I have watch Amsoil, Mobil 1, etc. videos on YouTube and of course they are going to make their products look the absolute best. I am not interested what someone thinks is the best, but what oil is proven to be the best.

Has an independent agency done any real world long term testing on oil and filters? I am curious.

The more I read, the more I think all synthetics are pretty much going to give you good performance.

I am not trying to start a flame war, just want some real world stuff.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I look at what comes in the elite sports cars like the Corvette. They have been using Mobil 1 for a long time. It was the oil that was in the ZR-1 when it took the the high speed endurance world record by going 175mph+ for 24 hours straight. That is full throttle pedal to the metal for 5000 miles + and two celebration laps which was another 15 miles at 190+

That is about as real world results as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    I look at what comes in the elite sports cars like the Corvette. They have been using Mobil 1 for a long time. It was the oil that was in the ZR-1 when it took the the high speed endurance world record by going 175mph+ for 24 hours straight. That is full throttle pedal to the metal for 5000 miles + and two celebration laps which was another 15 miles at 190+

That is about as real world results as you can get.
    Agreed, but then you get the Amsoil guys yapping about how superior Amsoil is. I would be more likely to try Amsoil if it were available at the store. I either have to get it from amsoil.com or find a dealer.

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler

I think your statement in your original post about all synthetics giving you good performance sums it up best. Most higher end oils can go 7500 miles+ before needing changing, so change at 3,000 or 5,000 and you'll be beyond good.

Ahhh, @stchman, ya knew this was gonna happen

Quote Originally Posted by estrom View Post
    Most higher end oils can go 7500 miles+ before needing changing, .
    Any non-synthetic oil, meeting GM's standards will go 7500 miles+ in today's engines.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Agreed, but then you get the Amsoil guys yapping about how superior Amsoil is. I would be more likely to try Amsoil if it were available at the store. I either have to get it from amsoil.com or find a dealer.
    You can find Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 filter on sale at Autozone every 3 months or so. I refuse to shop at WalMart, but they apparently also have the large jugs of it on sale frequently. So lets say for the sake of argument that Amsoil is as good or even a little better. Is it really that much better, and at what cost?

Another reason I get Mobil 1 is that they support Chevy racing. Granted if their product sucked I wouldn't by it. But it is clearly one of the elite synthetics you can buy for your regular engine, much less a high performance one.

`

Hopefully this thread will not degrade into:

My choice of oil rules and your choice of oil sucks.

I am just looking for some REAL WORLD testing on engine oils, not advertising by Amsoil, Mobil 1, Pennzoil, etc.

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler

There is a lab/college in the god awful state of Meechigan that has done a lot of testing on various components. I am not sure if motor oil is one of them though. I think the name is Michigan Tech or something like that. The PowerBlock TV shows have shown them doing tests on spark plugs and heads. That may be the most "independent" testing you may get.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Hopefully this thread will not degrade into:

My choice of oil rules and your choice of oil sucks.

I am just looking for some REAL WORLD testing on engine oils, not advertising by Amsoil, Mobil 1, Pennzoil, etc.
    I hope you are not taking my post to impy that is what I have done.

`

Maybe this will help http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, SCT Programmer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast