GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Question led bed rail lights conecting to cargo light switch

hi has any one installed aftermarket led cargo lights and connected them to there cargo light switch on a 2007 to 2013 gmc or chevy. iv been looking at the recon bed kight kit as well as ledglow kit and want to have it set up when i turn my cargo light on or hit my key fob the bed rail light comes on with the rear cargo light on the back of the cab.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

The only thing with that is that Some people leave the cargo light on and with that many lights drawing power you could kill the battery Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130907_161425.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	55082Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130907_193201 (1).jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	55083Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130907_164224.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	55084Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130909_164302.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	55085I just installed these and put in a sep switch to run them when I'm in the back of my truck.. or working on something..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

3. Likes mfleetwood liked this post

To wire the bedrail lights off of the cargo light you would need to run a signal wire from the cargo light harness to a relay that would power the bedrail lights.
    The problem is the cargo light system is controlled, at least partially, by the BCM.
    When I installed my bedlights I thought it would be simple to just tap into that harness snd wire in a relay, luckily within a few minutes I noticed a problem with the LED's going on and off by themselves.
    As with other items Ive tried wiring through or with input from the BCM I found it has a mind of its own and causes problems when wired into.
    I finally wired 2 fuse boxes under the hood, one keyed power and one full time hot, this is how I know power any aux electrical wires to avoid BCM issues.

5. Likes mfleetwood liked this post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130331_093011_028.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	55086Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130330_062834_220.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	55087I wired mine (or should I say SurrealOne did) to a switch in the dash. I tried first to splice into the wires running to the rear interior light and it did not work like I wanted. It satyed on until you turned the interior light switch off. Even if the interior lights were off they stayed on. Here is a pic of my switches.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

7. Likes mfleetwood liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post

ID:	55087I wired mine (or should I say SurrealOne did) to a switch in the dash. I tried first to splice into the wires running to the rear interior light and it did not work like I wanted. It satyed on until you turned the interior light switch off. Even if the interior lights were off they stayed on. Here is a pic of my switches.
    aloxdaddy99 were did u get the switch from and who makes it, that looks almost stock and like it should be in the truck?

Quote Originally Posted by savagetman View Post
    aloxdaddy99 were did u get the switch from and who makes it, that looks almost stock and like it should be in the truck?
    well i fond who and were i can get the rocker switches and switch holders: http://www.otrattw.com/index.php
    iv got one switch, 2 plugs, and a 2 and 3 switch holder coming just not sure were im going to mount it yet as i have the factory gm trailer brake controller in the location of the above installed switches.

That is where I go them from from. Sorry for the delay in response. The tool they sell makes removal a lot easier also.

aloxdaddy99 how do they look at night all lit up in the cab, are they easy to see and get at. i was thinking of putting mine just left of were yours are since i have the built in trailer brake controller, but will have to wait till the switches get here to see if there is room. i was also thinking of mounting it in the middle of the cab on the over head roof conceal, but again not sure about the amount of room between it and the roof. Any ideas would be grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post

I freakin want that right now lol. Thinking maybe on the overhead console make them look like they're garage door lights. What to power? Not sure yet.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

I wanted to install them in the overhead console as well. The issue is the depth of the switches. I don't think they would fit. I also looked to install them below the HVAC controls but when I took the panel off there was a bunch of electronic modules back there that I didn't care to mess with. With the spot I used I still had to cut some plastic away to make them fit. It really helped having a wiring savant like SurrealOne to help make this work as well as it looks.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by