GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legend
    Blog Entries

Default GMTC alone among friendly forums?

I belong to several automotive sites in addition to GMTC. In visiting those other sites, two patterns stand out that I do not see at GMTC. First, there will be lots of views to a post but no comments. The other is a tendency to be a jerk or give arrogant responses.

Is it me or is GMTC the friendliest of the online communities?
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

2. Thanks Steve thanked for this post

No you're correct Caddiac. I see the same type stuff you mentioned on other forums too. Good group of folks on here.
    Hotty Toddy!

I also belong to a couple of other truck sites but visit them infrequently due to the overall lack of help and generally immature type of responses provided. From my experience, it appears that a responders (to a request for info) perception of their expertise it directly related to their use of a high degree of sarcasm and/or profanity. The opposite is norm here

100% agree and glad you are back Caddiac.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

I've been a MOD and member on a few other forums and left for the reasons you point out, many forums turn into a space for people to show how much of an internet tough guy they are.
    When your trying your hardest to find factual good information to, mod, repair, or maintain a vehicle the last thing you want to deal with is some guy who doesnt know much except for the fact his computer keyboard can beat yours up.
    We try hard to maintain a helpful atmosphere on GMTC.
    I do think at times we do have posters that get frustrated because no one has answers to their questions,
    A recent one that comes to mind was a post about top kick brake issues, after a few days the poster became frustrated and made a few comments about the amount of views and lack of advice offered.
    The answer that we just dont have many with repair experience on airbrake systems or TopKick trucks didnt placate him, neither did the my telling him that many possibly chose to remain silent vs speak about a subject they knew nothing of.
    I dont know the best way to handle posts of this nature.
    If you were a poster of a question that no one seemed to have an answer to how would you want others to respond?
    Shoot out a guess?
    Just acknowledge the post?
    Or read the post and quietly leave?

7. Likes Als09Sierra liked this post

What, there's other truck forums?

I'm shocked! Why would there be? all the answers for the only truck is right here!

Seriously...
    So I do have a NON GM vehicle Some Other Brand SOB) in my driveway and have been there less frequent and I do see this BS (Big Speak) you speak off. (one after market distributor bad mouthing another)
    I Like it here. The help offered and received is above and beyond.
    Finally a signature and Avatar! I also posted some pics in the Gallery.
    2011 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Z71 6Liter.
    2011 Outback Travel Trailer 260FL
    So Happy to not be on the edge of GVWR Over Load!!

I've noticed the same as the OP. I have been a member of many other forums and the trends are all the same: either no answers to your questions, irrelevant answers to your questions and/or arrogant attention whores always chiming in. None of that seems to be the case around here. It's breath of fresh air!
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

I would agree. GMTC is one of the friendliest and that's why I promote to other Chevy owners.
    -K&N Air Filter

I have been a member of many forums, including appliance repair, boating, and automotive. I have to say that every other forum that I have been on has been terrible. You ask a question and get some smart A$$ response or someone insulting you for not already knowing the answer. Plus, most of the other forum's layouts are terrible. I have also noticed that many are poorly maintained and moderated if they are at all. I know that the mods here (including myself) keep and eye out for any posts that are overly negative or insulting, we also try to keep a PG-13 environment here. Our members should get a majority of the credit for keeping this forum such a friendly environment. When a member reports an inappropriate posts it draws moderator attention to it, which helps stop offensive posts from remaining on the site
    Last edited by Pikey; 09-16-2013 at 02:25 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I've been a MOD and member on a few other forums and left for the reasons you point out, many forums turn into a space for people to show how much of an internet tough guy they are.
    When your trying your hardest to find factual good information to, mod, repair, or maintain a vehicle the last thing you want to deal with is some guy who doesnt know much except for the fact his computer keyboard can beat yours up.
    We try hard to maintain a helpful atmosphere on GMTC.
    I do think at times we do have posters that get frustrated because no one has answers to their questions,
    A recent one that comes to mind was a post about top kick brake issues, after a few days the poster became frustrated and made a few comments about the amount of views and lack of advice offered.
    The answer that we just dont have many with repair experience on airbrake systems or TopKick trucks didnt placate him, neither did the my telling him that many possibly chose to remain silent vs speak about a subject they knew nothing of.
    I dont know the best way to handle posts of this nature.
    If you were a poster of a question that no one seemed to have an answer to how would you want others to respond?
    Shoot out a guess?
    Just acknowledge the post?
    Or read the post and quietly leave?
    In the past, there were times when I acknowledged the post, admitted I knew nothing about their problem and in some cases suggested they add more information especially if they failed to include specifics about the vehicle. Other times, I just read and leave quietly.

Sounds like a good idea for a poll. What would you prefer:
    1. no answer
    2. empathetic response admitting you can't help
    3. acknowledge you don't know but offer some guesses

I would choose 2. TB, you figure this one out and you will be a genius.
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast