GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Headlight fog

Default Headlight fog

So I bought some headlights and turn signal lights from a 2001 Sierra C3 for 70$. They were of course used and very foggy. Stopped at Walmart for
    some McGuire's Plastix and some turtle wax rubbing compound. Ideally I would use a buffer starting off with the rubbing compound to remove the heavy oxidation. But I went reversed with no buffer. Results came out pretty good. Now all I need is some new signal lights and light bulbs to try and brighten it up a little. But I'm happy with the results so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

I've found the best way to restore headlights is to wet sand with 1000 grit then 1500 and lastly 2000 grit. Then buff with rubbing compound and finally apply a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and polyurethane with a folded shop towel, applying with one even, smooth stroke .Here's a pic of my Wife's Grand Prix before we traded it. (One on the left is "before")

Last edited by adampaul1964; 09-16-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    Adam

That looks pretty good there Adam. I'm working in a limited environment with limited tools which is why I went the route I chose. Maybe when I get a little more free reign I'll test it out on my old headlights so I don't mess these up lol.

Lol! I know what you mean, I did these in the kitchen while she was at work! And yes I did use the buffer indoors!

Lol I'm living with my buddy in a apartment instead of the ship for now so if it were mine I would try it out