GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I ran my Toyota trail truck's 22RT Turbo engine on propane for a few years before putting an Isuzu Diesel in it last year, and I'm seriously contemplating putting the Turbo'd propane engine back in soon.

Jr. Apprentice aircraftcontractor's Avatar

Has anybody had any luck with propane or natural gas for the TBI 350 ? Alot of the links I saw here are for carbed rigs. I'm also considering upgrading my engine to a Duramax so I can run bio or maybe a late model gas engine from a 'burb that has the displacement on demand or whatever its called now. I'm willing to spend money short term so I afford keep my 91' 'burb long term, does that make any sense?

Yea some one help us out on this issue because I also have tbi and havnt really had any luck gettin info or even locating a kit for this.

Back when I first started this thread, I contacted Technocarb about a TBI conversion kit for my 91 Suburban. They responded via email with this response...

Hello Christopher,

Thank you for your inquiry, and yes we do build and supply a dual fuel system for your Suburban.

We require a bit more information from you to be able to supply the correct system for your particular application and provide accurate pricing.

It would be easier to discuss this via telephone. Please give our sales desk a call on our toll free line 1-877-888-5666 from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM P.S.T. at your convenience.

Peter Gordon

Technocarb Equipment (2004) Ltd.

#4- 30435 Progressive Way

Abbotsford, BC

Canada V2T 6W3

Ph: 604-854-6264

Fax: 604-854-6802
    I tried to call him back several times, but he never seemed to be in the office. Shortly after I dropped the issue. I'd still like to do a conversion to dual-fuel, and now I'd definitley like to do it on my bronco, which should be easier because it's carbed already. If anyone can make some headway with this, I'd be very happy...
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Impco is the best system for a carb engine
    Peter Smet
    Haasdonk, Belgium

So our tbi's are still considered a carb motor?

not quite. for one thing, the propane system has to manipulate the computer to make it think the fuel injectors are still operating while they are actually shut off. I think the propane injection manifold is also different
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

I'm looking to convert my 93 silverado 454 to cng or LPG as well.

Any info would be awesome!

Thanks

I had a 1990 chevy truck with a 5.7L on gasoline/propane selectable kit. Jacobs electronics made the module that you have mentioned above. The truck was sold several years ago, so I can't help you with a part number. I was also told that Jacobs Electronics may no longer be in business.

People keep searching for these topics, we should make a whole "alternative fuel" forum on here so people who want to learn more can dig in and do that.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast