GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This was great, very interesting! Thanks
    Everyday I wake up is a great day! ;-)
    05' Chevy Suburban, 11' Ford Fiesta

Quote Originally Posted by burbanguy View Post
    So our tbi's are still considered a carb motor?
    Yes and no. If you change out the intake manifold to accept a carb, the engine will run just fine, but the transmission wont like you. Likewise, TBI is still using electronically controlled fuel injectors, a TP sensor, and O2 sensors, so it can be considered a EFI motor as well.

I worked on a 89 S-10 with a 4.3 that had the propane and fuel system on it from the factory, had a separate computer for the propane injection inside the engine bay, and looked very complicated, something I would not want to work on.
    1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 350 cuin TBI in dark Chevy blue
    160,000+ miles
    Original paint
    Original interior
    Original engine and tranny
    wrecked twice stolen once
    Diamond Plate bed rails
    Power windows
    Original Alloy wheels
    Original fancy smancy cup holder
    Tow package
    Original plastic bed liner
    K&N Cone Air Intake
    Dual MagnaFlow exhaust(not true dual) with chrome tips
    MSD Street Fire Performance Ignition coil

This is getting popular again.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

The price of gas jumped up nearly 10 cents in the past 24 hours to $3.29 here, but it's still economically infeasible to convert my truck to use CNG. Between the cost of the conversion and not having any local fueling stations, I just can't make the numbers work.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    The price of gas jumped up nearly 10 cents in the past 24 hours to $3.29 here, but it's still economically infeasible to convert my truck to use CNG. Between the cost of the conversion and not having any local fueling stations, I just can't make the numbers work.
    That's a good point. I just went to a CNG station opening yesterday in Grapevine, Texas (which is right in the middle of DFW) and it was opened by Classic Chevrolet (the biggest Chevy dealer in the US) and it's basically going to be used mostly by municipalities and government vehicles, but there are more and more fleet service vehicles that are starting to think about switching, or have already switched to CNG to power their fleets.

Once you get into a 10, 20, 50 or larger fleet, the cost per conversion comes down quite a bit. Then you take into account that you'll have to fill up more often and give up quite a bit of room inside of the bed of a pickup truck (see my photos) or in the trunk/rear seat of a car. That's annoying to many consumers, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for a business that could save a lot of money on a consistent basis.

They did throw out the number that 90% of the CNG used in the US is produced in the US. That's something that's very interesting to say the least.

CNG is definitely a very fleet-oriented product in the US as of now. When you have a fleet, you can easily justify the cost and space to have a CNG fueling station on-site just like many fleets have gas/diesel fueling stations on-site.

As for space lost, that is indeed a very consumer-oriented concern. I don't know how fleets handle car tank installation, but the truck/full-size van installs work out so well you'd never know it was a CNG-fueled vehicle if the fleet owner didn't plaster a huge sign on the vehicle bragging about it. They can typically cram the tank on a pickup on the frame rail under the bed and between the gas tank or spare tire and the bumper on a van. I'm sure they also put smaller tanks on the fleet vehicles since it's assumed the vehicle won't go significantly out of range of the nearest fleet-owned fueling station and will return daily to the yard to get refueled.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123