GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default People getting their feelings hurt over the dexos specification.

The more I read on oil, the more I think it's a religious thing.

There are so many people whining about dexos, when there are other manufacturers that have specific oil specifications.

I've been a Mobil 1 user for years and Mobil 1 is dexos approved, so it's a non-factor. Too many people that seem to have a religious belief that if they can't use their precious Amsoil, Royal Purple, Schaeffers, etc., that not driving again is a better solution.

My thing is, if Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc., are SO SPECTACULAR, just get dexos approval and be done with it.

Other oil makers have done it:

Mobil 1
    Castrol
    Pennzoil
    Kendall
    Quaker State

There are even a bunch of oils that I've never heard of on the licensed list.

http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrand...sedbrands.html

For what Amsoil and Royal Purple charge for a quart of oil, they should be on the list. I am in no way religiously tied to Mobil 1 oil. If Mobil 1 was not on the dexos list, I would choose an oil that was.

Why is it that other manufacturers can require lubricants that meet a certain specification and it's OK, GM does it and they are bad?

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

What is dexos?
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    What is dexos?
    Click on stchman's link and open the "About" tab.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

The dexos specification is something they put together as a way to provide a minimum standard for globally available quality of oil for use in GM engines. It specifies minimum lubri action capabilities of oils under specific conditions. Many of the premium oil companies offer oils with additional additives which enhances lubrication capabilities of oil... but exceeds the minimum specified... and therefore is not certified. In the end it all comes down to using what you feel confident in.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimTom64b View Post
    The dexos specification is something they put together as a way to provide a minimum standard for globally available quality of oil for use in GM engines. It specifies minimum lubri action capabilities of oils under specific conditions. Many of the premium oil companies offer oils with additional additives which enhances lubrication capabilities of oil... but exceeds the minimum specified... and therefore is not certified. In the end it all comes down to using what you feel confident in.
    Well said. I would add "And what you are willing to risk if the engine is still under warranty. I have never had a warranty issue where the engine lubrication was suspect so I do not know the drill. But if there were a mechanical problem and you were using oil that was not on the list, my guess is you are at the mercy of GM.

Just curious, has anyone had a warranty issue where the type of oil and frequency of changes was an issue?
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

Wow I'm glad you posted a link. Had no idea what dexos was lol. Guess it's because I've never had a GM warranty so the only person telling me what oil to put it MY truck was ME.
    Hotty Toddy!

Jr. Mechanic

I did a L.O.F the other day for a customer. Used RP 5W-30,it said dexos approved on the label.

From the RP site:

For vehicles under warranty, Royal Purple recommends its API-licensed oils available at retailers nationwide.

ROYAL PURPLE API-LICENSED MOTOR OIL

Royal Purple’s API-licensed Motor Oil combines premium base oils with proprietary additive technologies to create high performance motor oils that optimize engine performance. Royal Purple’s API-licensed motor oil delivers superior protection and improves performance in gasoline and diesel engines. Royal Purple’s API-licensed SN motor oil meets ILSAC GF-5 and Dexos1™* performance requirements.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by zippstripp View Post
    I did a L.O.F the other day for a customer. Used RP 5W-30,it said dexos approved on the label.
    Royal Purple offers two grades for street applications... dexos approved and their HPS version with added wear protection. I run the HPS in my truck.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    The more I read on oil, the more I think it's a religious thing.

No, its an educated thing. I've done a lot of experimenting with oil, and I'll let a oil analyses tell me what works and what doesn't. There is no "belief" in it.

I guess based on your Mobil 1/dexos1 religion, running anything that isn't dexo1 approved means its a sub-standard oil and the owner is a fanatic...cause that's exactly what you're saying. So much for anyone want to try something that isn't main stream...so much for having a choice.

The day you run an engine oil out to 40k miles, and have the UOAs to prove it; then you might understand it.

Where's my ignore button...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast