GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Probably be ok with diesel from a few years back, but the new diesel is supposedly not as lubricating with the low sulfur. Probably better off using an additive if you want to clean out your engine and add lubrication.

Source:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/f...t/viewall.html
    Charles 02 z71 Cladded Avy
    Mods: eBay k&n Intake, highflow magnaflow cats & y pipe, 6" FabTech lift, 35" Pro Comps, Superchips #2715, SnugTop, 4.56's, MOOG front end
    Wishes: LQ4 + a beefed up 4L60E

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Back in the day ATF was ok. But, I have heard that it can mess up your cats and O2 sensors. I don't know if it is true or not. I run TC-W3 2 cycle marine formula in every tank with a 5 gallon to 1 ounce ratio. It is said that it lubes and cleans injectors, fuel pump, and valves. I have been running it approx 6 months and have seen an increase from between 13.5-15.2 mpg to a solid and consistent 17.4 mpg in the city. Not to mention a smoother idle
    This is what I do ^^^^^

I have heard of the diesel thing too but dont remember the mix ratio.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Ethanol is a natural cleaning agent, so you don't really need to worry about adding diesel as a means to clean the fuel pump and injectors. Petroleum is also a natural lubricant, and how the fuel pump is normally lubricated. If you want additional cleaning and lubrication, then a standard cleaner/lube mix-in like the ones from Lucas or STP will generally suffice. If you want to add additional lubrication, to make up for the loss of any lubrication in a 10% ethanol mix, or with E85, then adding in some "top end lube" wouldn't be a bad idea. All the drag racers running methanol or ethanol, have to run it to help out with lubrication as the alcohol doesn't lube as well as gasoline does.

Quote Originally Posted by dobey View Post
    Ethanol is a natural cleaning agent, so you don't really need to worry about adding diesel as a means to clean the fuel pump and injectors. Petroleum is also a natural lubricant, and how the fuel pump is normally lubricated. If you want additional cleaning and lubrication, then a standard cleaner/lube mix-in like the ones from Lucas or STP will generally suffice. If you want to add additional lubrication, to make up for the loss of any lubrication in a 10% ethanol mix, or with E85, then adding in some "top end lube" wouldn't be a bad idea. All the drag racers running methanol or ethanol, have to run it to help out with lubrication as the alcohol doesn't lube as well as gasoline does.
    This is true. But, ethanol also causes corrosion. You are correct that you can use a STP or Lucas additive. But, TC-W3 2 cycle is much cheaper to use. I bought a gallon of it for $22. I have used it with every fill up for the last 6 months and I am barely half thru the gallon. You can get it cheaper if you don't buy the synthetic. I think that I saw somewhere that walmart has it for $14 a gallon.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

5. Likes Sierraowner5.3 liked this post

Yeah, on first thought there is something to this ... but I wouldn't do it to any vehicle of mine.
    @tbplus10 is right. Diesel and some of the fuel system cleaners do have a common origin, but I would want to talk to a chemical engineer before I would recommend this. Plus, why not just get one of the tried-and-true cleaners like SeaForm or RXP instead of trying to figure out the proper way to dilute it?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Quote Originally Posted by kinson33 View Post
    Probably be ok with diesel from a few years back, but the new diesel is supposedly not as lubricating with the low sulfur. Probably better off using an additive if you want to clean out your engine and add lubrication.

Source:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/f...t/viewall.html
    Gasoline used to have decent lubricating qualities too, before the govt. required unleaded fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Back in the day ATF was ok. But, I have heard that it can mess up your cats and O2 sensors. I don't know if it is true or not. I run TC-W3 2 cycle marine formula in every tank with a 5 gallon to 1 ounce ratio. It is said that it lubes and cleans injectors, fuel pump, and valves. I have been running it approx 6 months and have seen an increase from between 13.5-15.2 mpg to a solid and consistent 17.4 mpg in the city. Not to mention a smoother idle

Giving that a shot, off to walmart I go! Any brand preference for the two of you that already do this?
    Charles 02 z71 Cladded Avy
    Mods: eBay k&n Intake, highflow magnaflow cats & y pipe, 6" FabTech lift, 35" Pro Comps, Superchips #2715, SnugTop, 4.56's, MOOG front end
    Wishes: LQ4 + a beefed up 4L60E

I use pensoil full synthetic marine formula.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Marvel mystery oil is supposed to a bit like heavier diesel
    read that somewhere
    The diesel in gas-real oldschool
    2 gallons per tank-seems a bit high-
    probably would use less-maybe a pint or so per tank if I was going to do it
    EASIER to just use sea foam techron etc
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Maybe my figure was a little high. He said today that he never put over a gallon of it in his truck. I was young

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast