GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by TimTom64b View Post
    My problem with mixing them is that each oil manufacturer tends to have its own proprietary mixture of additives... I guess if you stay with the same manufacturer you'd pretty certain not have any problems... I just do not like the idea of playing chemist and risking a problem. Oil is allot cheaper than a replacement engine.

Just a little note from a past experience... I once had a local oil change company use the off brand of castrol in my sons truck... it burns a little oil so he mixed oils with another brand. Well after a couple weeks after topping off he noticed his oil pressure going up and down periodically... we just thought the issue was with the gauge or sensor. Then one day when he started it in the driveway he had no pressure and it blew out the seal around the oil filter. Appeared the oil filter was plugged. We immediately changed the oil, filter, did a flush and changed the oil and filter again. All has been fine ever since. Keep in mind that this was over a three month period after a fresh oil change. My point is...is it really worth the risk to save a couple bucks.
    Glad to see you saved the engine. I can see where you are coming from that certain manufacturer's additive packages may chemically clash.

I personally have been using Mobil 1 now for over 15 years with excellent results. I pretty much always buy new as I don't want other people's problems, and I can tell you that I have not added oil to any of my cars in that time.

Also, I worked in the quick lube industry for ~8 years and I can say that MOST of the lube techs that quick lubes hire are ROTTEN. I will never use a quick lube again as I don't want idiotic monkeys working on my car. As long as I am physically capable I will change my oil myself. Once I get to the point where I am no longer physically capable, I will take my vehicle to a mechanic that is skilled.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Need to keep this thread moving.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I look at it this way....Oil doesn't break down, it gets dirty....Synthetic oil is going to get just as dirty, just as fast as conventional oil. To me, it lasts no longer, but it does have better properties to help your engine. I think that is what you are paying extra for, not longer life between changes.....just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    .... I will never use a quick lube again as I don't want idiotic monkeys working on my car. As long as I am physically capable I will change my oil myself. Once I get to the point where I am no longer physically capable, I will take my vehicle to a mechanic that is skilled.
    Hopefully, one of my three boys will be doing it for me at the point when I can no longer perform the change myself. I hope that I am a long way from that. My dad still changes his own oil and does all the work on his vehicles. Sure, occasionally he might run into an issue or it might take him longer than it takes me. But, I am always willing to take the boys on a half an hour drive down to his house to help out. (even if he does not ask for the help) Her recently re did the front end of his avalanche, it turned into an all day project. At about 7pm I talked to my mom and she said that he was getting tired and having a hard time crawling under the truck. So, we drove down and helped him finish it. I would do the same if he needed an oil change and could not do it. I figure that the man that introduced me to working on cars at age 3 deserves to not have to pay for a place to change his oil. Hopefully, one of my 3 boys (if not all of them) has the same feeling.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12