GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default How often should the oil filter be changed?

Hello all.

I am going to be submitting a used oil analysis(UOA) to Blackstone Labs when I change the oil. I've never had a UOA done before so I am curious as to the results, and I will be paying the extra $10 for a TBN.

I use Mobil 1 5W-30 and AC Delco PF48 oil filters only. I usually change the oil and filter every 6K. I suspect I am changing the oil too early, but the TBN should be able to answer that.

On to my purpose for posting the thread, I normally change the oil and filter every 6K, should I change the oil filter at the halfway point? Walmart sells the PF48 oil filters in my area for $4 each so it is low cost.

Thanks.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I don't know the "correct" answer to this. My grandfather used to change his oil (conventional) every 6,000 miles, but he changed the filter every 3,000. He never had any issues with his vehicles and most of them ran over 350,000 miles without any issues.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I try to use a decent filter and do the 6k change with mobil 1 or castrol syntec. My wifes new car says 10k intervals. So who knows, oil analysis may be the best way. Even fram sells some 15k filters.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

I am going to do an oil and filter change at the 6K mark. I will send off a sample to Blackstone and wait for the results.

I guess my question is: "Why would the filter be dirty?"

A modern engine, well refined fuel and good oil should not produce anything that would clog a filter.

The biggest fear with a filter is that they wear out. the filter medium tears.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    I guess my question is: "Why would the filter be dirty?"

A modern engine, well refined fuel and good oil should not produce anything that would clog a filter.

The biggest fear with a filter is that they wear out. the filter medium tears.
    Many modern oil filters have a bypass valve in them to keep oil moving when the media becomes clogged.

IYO, you think that modern filters will have torn media before clogged media?

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    IYO, you think that modern filters will have torn media before clogged media?
    I'm just saying that because the engines are so clean in today's modern vehicles that there is very little contamination to clog a filter.

And, I'm thinking that the cheap filters would eventually wear the filter material (read paper) to the point that it would tear (just from the flow). I don't know how many miles this would take, but I know it does happen.

It's amazing how much old school & folklore on oil keeps going on forever. The three thousand mile oil change were from the days of "leaded gas". My dad and I torn open two engines when I was a teenager and on both engines the oil pans were full of sludge. Back in the 50's and 60's the engines were no where clean burning. Spark plugs had to be changed every 10K and my dad's 57 Chevy 6 cylinder had an "optional" oil filter. The 1977 GM's finally redesigned the engines for the no lead gas and the oil change interval was then as it is now 7500 miles. This about put the grease monkeys on there heads. MY 2011 Murano is 7500 miles and I switch to synthetic. A lot of 70MPH driving is done so I stick to the 7500. My 2012 Silverado is DEXOS2 grade and the on board commuter has an oil % life left for the oil. The dealer stated that when it get blow 20% is when they'll do the free oil change. I went to 13% before I got to the dealership and it was around 6800 miles. They do a calculation on type for driving, towing, average speed and duration. Oil filters are only there to catch and metal that is wearing off. Unless your in a very sandy or dusty environment, oil filter can also go the 7500 mile mark. Unless you're alway nailing the gas pedal, I'll bet you have 30-40% oil life left with regular driving.

I don't believe any Silverado uses dexos2 grade oil. The gas engines require dexos1 and the Duramax requires CJ-4 oil.

I always change my oil at 4.5-5k miles...oil is cheap but a motor isnt and it gets me out of the house!...btw i use Mobil 1 5w-30 Full Synthetic also with Mobil 1 filter

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    275/65R18 Toyo Open Country AT2's
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit(want to get the 2.5 RC kit)
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    ProFlaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Blacked out Tail Lights