GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry 04 gmc rear brake caliper brackets

i have a 2004 gmc 1500 sierra 4wd, need to replace rear brake rotors and pads and rusted out backing plates. tried to get caliper brackets off but would not budge, was told to use heat on bracket (didn't try yet) waiting for weekend so not to tie vehicle up . can't seem to get the bolts loose,afraid to much pressure will break them off. can't get impact gun in there either. any help would be appreciated, DUE NEXT MONTH FOR INSPECTION
    thanks,dave

penetrating oil, heat and breaker bar. I think on my truck the bracket torque spec is over 225 ft-lbs. Not as high on a 1500 but I remember fighting the bolts initially. Also arent they torqx heads, so make sure you have a quality one as I have had a few cheap sockets twist easily.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    penetrating oil, heat and breaker bar. I think on my truck the bracket torque spec is over 225 ft-lbs. Not as high on a 1500 but I remember fighting the bolts initially. Also arent they torqx heads, so make sure you have a quality one as I have had a few cheap sockets twist easily.
    the bolts are 17mm and i did try penetrating oil, but not any good spots to actually get it in there. threads go in behind rotor itself. thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by dave13net View Post
    the bolts are 17mm and i did try penetrating oil, but not any good spots to actually get it in there. threads go in behind rotor itself. thanks for the info
    I have never had to heat them and I have done probably 15 or 20 of them. I just use a 1/2" breaker bar that is 2 ft long, then I slide a long 4 or 5 foot pipe over the end. Yea, there is not much room for the pipe. I usually have to jack the truck up high enough that I can get some room between the ground and the body of the truck. Luckily, I have never broken one either.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

5. Likes reggiecab2000 liked this post

ok thanks for the info, just hope i don't break them either, don't need that problem too

Quote Originally Posted by dave13net View Post
    ok thanks for the info, just hope i don't break them either, don't need that problem too
    As far as the backing plates go. If you want to do oem replacements then you have to pull the axle shafts. I have seen people use the aftermarket 2 piece plates and they work well. You would just need to cut the old plates off and then bolt the new 2 piece on.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

ok thanks, thought i would have to pull axles anyway,just more work. where would i get the 2 piece if i wanted to go that way?
    Last edited by dave13net; 09-17-2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: more info

I think that advance, autozone, and napa all carry them

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Mechanic

Those bolts can be a bear. Heat won't hurt the bolt. Not to mention the factory also uses a thread locker on them so heat would help loosen that up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast