GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default ignition timing 97 k1500 5.7

had my truck to the garage recently and I'm not sure all is right. Seemed a little off when I got it back but not sure. Hooked up my Scan Gauge II and looked for codes or other problems. Only thing I can't tell is if ignition timing is right. at idle the timing is at approx 22 degrees BTDC. depending on the throttle applied the highest is 33 degrees and the lowest is 18 degrees. I can find everywhere that the timing is not adjustable but does this mean that the distributor was put back in one tooth off? Any help but not guessing is appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry, addition to first post. i have yet for the thing to throw a code. at least 3 days running, 8 start cycles if that matters.

Jr. Mechanic

What kind of work did ya have done at the shop?

I don't think those timing advance numbers are all that far off (assuming they are timing advance). When testing/setting ignition timing, you want to look for the cam retard parameter, which only the best/most expensive scanners can read. Cam retard should be +/- 2 degrees, if memory serves.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

intake manifold gasket

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    I don't think those timing advance numbers are all that far off (assuming they are timing advance). When testing/setting ignition timing, you want to look for the cam retard parameter, which only the best/most expensive scanners can read. Cam retard should be +/- 2 degrees, if memory serves.
    What he said